add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do you guys think this is a good 1000 dollar gaming pc?

SoftwareSlicer

38 months ago

Here is my hypothetical pc build that i want to build: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $196.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $49.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $66.54 @ NCIX US
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $212.77 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card $394.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $42.33 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1043.47
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1023.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 01:05 EDT-0400

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Get a better PSU, that money isn;t likely to make you itch for a non bottom of the barrel feature wise board. You don't need 16GB of RAM and that money can go else where. I wouldn't suggest a 1TB SSD at this budget. That case isn't good for its price and for 1080P a GTX 1070 is overkill.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $196.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $57.99 @ Newegg
Memory Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $42.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $73.80 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card $394.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1081.61
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $1021.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 01:18 EDT-0400

It has a much better motherboard. It has faster RAM, couldn't get 16GB within budget. It has a 500GB SSD along with a 2TB HDD for mass storage. It still has the GTX 1070 since I could get it within budget. It has a insanely better case and PSU. Also this is all cheaper.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree about the SSD - if you're hurting for storage, get an external/USB key & call it a day. I disagree about the PSU, though. Odds are a bronze won't let you down (else they wouldn't still be in business). You could prolly spare the RAM, but long term you may want to avoid having to think about swapping out.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Efficiency means nothing when it comes to PSU's and it has zero reason as to why I changed it. The B1 is a entry level at best PSU with mediocre build quaility and mediocre performance, you shouldn't be using a overpriced entry level PSU in a high end build. For a high end build you should have a high end PSU. The G2 is light years better than the B1.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/16/evga_500b_500w_power_supply_review/9

The EVGA 500B is very much an inexpensive entry level product and that is exactly how it performed for us today. That said, it is also very much a passing inexpensive entry level product and we don't often get to say that. The downside to all of this is, of course, this product category is usually defined by compromises that enthusiasts would rather not make and that was again true today. From the units mediocre to passable for its niche build quality, to its passing but not great voltage regulation, to its OK Transient Load Test results and DC Output Quality the EVGA 500B was thoroughly uninspiring functional. Certainly, a lot of the very "meh" feelings we have about this unit come from the fact that even ~5 years ago we were seeing this kind of performance in this output capacity among units that were also entry level products.

What saves the EVGA 500B today is pricing. As it stands today, the EVGA 500B can be had at Amazon for $44.99 with Free Prime Shipping and that makes this unit of the least expensive power supplies in this category from a brand that is respected. That right there makes this unit worth looking at for when you need a quick power supply to test something, a low end build, or some replacement when budgets are extremely tight.

The 450 watt Corsair CXM is $44 is a lot better so it currently has bad bang for your buck. Now for the G2.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/12/11/evga_supernova_1300_g2_1300w_power_supply_review/9

The EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 is an example of a power supply that represents a real aboutface for EVGA. Previous offerings have been, well, anywhere from just plain bad to just plain, plain. Today, the SuperNOVA 1300 G2 is not bad, it's not good, it's not even really good. The EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 is bordering on excellent. The build quality is a good bit ahead of previous offerings and it makes almost all of the right choices but the documentation and support really hurts this unit out of the gate. When we look to the performance of the SuperNOVA 1300 G2, it is quite literally class leading in the voltage regulation and the DC output quality. Those two factors alone are so good that it makes the unit worth buying even though the Transient Load Test results are kind of disappointing (but still in specification) and the unit probably could be a bit quieter for some people's liking. When it comes to pricing, we purchased SuperNOVA 1300 G2 unit for $151.99 free Prime shipping; currently $179.73 at Amazon. Today you can purchase it for $154.99 with Free Shipping after a $35.00 MIR. That is literally the lowest price you will find on any of the units we have compared this unit to today by a clear margin, even without the rebate.

The EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 has class leading performance in the majority of metrics and surpasses all the contenders in the value category as well. What does that mean? That means go buy the EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 for you next build that needs a quality high powered PSU that will not break your bank. So yeah, its a badass.

The main difference between it and the 550 one is the 550 is quiet and has a zero fan mode where as the 1300 watt one doesn't and the 1300 doesn't have all jap caps although the non jap caps aren't going to be taking much heavy lifting so tis not a problem really. Also I am wanting to say the fan is different. Other than that they are pretty much the same.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the reason why i added 16 gb of ram is because of futureproofing. Also faster ram doesn't actually increase fps in games. That does seem like a better storage and case/power supply setup though so thanks for helping me with that.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the reason why i added 16 gb of ram is because of futureproofing.

There is no such thing as future proofing. Everything will be outdated. Also RAM is fairly easy to upgrade. Just the the kit again and pop it in and your done. No reason to make cuts somewhere for something that isn't going to make a difference for a long time performance wise. If you can afford it now without cutting back great but don't make cuts just to get it in.

Also faster ram doesn't actually increase fps in games.

Myth. It is capable of increasing the FPS depending on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksXthUcbiQ

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Very true. In Guild Wars 2 2666mhz or 3000mhz can have almost a 10-20 FPS difference vs 2133mhz.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe this myth really started from Linus with him testing mid range hardware at the time in at ultra settings in games where he was clearly GPU bound and not compute bound so adding more compute power via faster RAM speed wouldn't do anything.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah i got that myth from linus since i usually watch his videos.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube