add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can anyone find a CPU fan for my build <£50 ($61 USD)

Jimbok21

39 months ago

This is my build http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6VpPVY I want a basic fan for my build. I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon but I've been told that I need a fan. I have no idea how expensive the fan should be but i don't really want to spend over £50 ($61 USD). If you could find a fan that will do the job and isn't an overkill then that would be great, Thanks.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Do you mean a case fan, or a CPU cooler? That CPU comes with a cooler, which should be sufficient for cooling, although not great. An aftermarket cooler will perform better and likely be quieter, so if you want to get one, consider something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, that's one of the best budget coolers and is plenty for a locked CPU.

For case fans, if you want to replace the stock fans on that case it wouldn't be a bad idea, consider brands like Phanteks, Corsair, or Cougar. You'd need 120mm, not static pressure fans since they're just intake/exhaust for the case and not radiator fans.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what the people who told me I need a fan were referring to but I think they meanthey'll a CPU fan. I'm probably going to add the fan you mentioned to my list. In your opinion, should I get a case fan and how much are the budget ones.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, yeah they might have thought the CPU didn't come with a cooler or something. So the aftermarket one isn't necessary, but it's cheap so I'd go with that. Unlocked Intel CPUs do not come with a cooler, and for those I'd recommend something more robust than the 212 Evo anyway.

For case fans, I'm not familiar with the ones that come on your case, but if I had to guess they're not that great. A few possible options I gathered real quick could be the be quiet! Pure Wings 2, Cougar Vortex and the Corsair Air series. Between those, personally I'd probably go with the Cougar Vortex, it's super quiet and moves a lot of air. You could use that fan for both the front intake and rear exhaust.

Not sure what pricing is for those in the UK, but the Pure Wings 2 fans are also really good, and very inexpensive. I'm in the US so I don't know how much the price differences are, but here for a decent fan, I expect to pay around $10-15, $20 at most for a premium brand like Noctua.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I spoke to the guy and he told me to always get a cpu fan and a case fan. I'm probably going to get both fans. I'll do some more research about fans during the week. I'm going to get an Amazon prime trial and order all of the parts a day before the half term holiday so that I can get all of the parts during the holiday. Thanks for the advice

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! You should be good with just the front intake and rear exhaust fan on that case, basically exactly where the stock case fans are.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Your case comes with case fans. No need to buy more. That is more that could be going towards a better case.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compucase-CF-V12HP-Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing-MTBF300/dp/B008N367IA Is this the right cougar Vortex? Also, should I buy 2. One for the front and one for the back. I'm probably going to get a different (and cheaper) case because the case I was going to get has risen in price. Will the fan fit most cases. I'll contact you on this thread once I find a good case. also, is the cryorig h7 a case or a cpu fan. I looked at pictures of it and it seems to go on the motherboard but it's doesn't look like other cpu fans. Austinherzfeldt recommended it in this thread. Thanks for your help

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep, that's the right one, just in orange. The one I linked is in black, so it's just color preference. Those fans are 120mm, so depending on the case you choose, it may have mounts for different fan sizes (like 140mm or 120mm). If the case you choose has spots for 140mm fans, being slightly larger, they will be able to move more air. Fan specifications should be listed for every case you look at, so you know how many fans it can fit and where they go.

And as Austin said below, the Cryorig H7 is a CPU cooler. You may be confusing yourself slightly by referring to it as a CPU fan. A CPU cooler (comprised of a heatsink and fan or multiple fans) sits on the motherboard directly on the CPU. If you look up videos, you can see tutorials on how it is mounted. It looks different just because it has a much larger heatsink, and the fans are oriented vertically rather than horizontal, as the fan is on the stock CPU cooler. It's a bit more expensive than the 212 Evo, but it works slightly better than the 212 Evo. It's up to you if you want to spend the extra on it, for a locked CPU you won't need a huge cooler.

EDIT: Right now the Cryorig H7 prices seem to be inflated due to low stock, so if you get that before they resolve the shortage you'll pay more than usual. Just something to keep in mind.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help, I'm going to get this case instead. I've put up a forum to ask for any other alternatives but i haven't got any replies yet. I think that this case should fit everything in. Should I get one or 2 (case) fans for this case or not. Im also going to save money by using the stock CPU cooler https://www.amazon.co.uk/BitFenix-BFC-COM-100-WWXS1-RP-Comrade-Midi-Tower-White/dp/B00HG2VOAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1476820872&sr=1-1&keywords=BitFenix+BFC-COM-100-WWXS1-RP+-+Comrade+Midi-Tower+-+White If you could recommend a case that's on amazon prime then that would be great

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

I reccomed a cryorig h7 for a couple reasons. 1. It's fairly cheap. 2. the 120mm fan mount is pretty much universal so you can attatch whatever fan you want! 3. It looks very clean.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming you mean a HSF/"air cooler" and not a actual single lone fan. Your CPU comes with a stock cooler, no need to buy a aftermarket cooler.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Do I really need a cpu cooler and a case fan or should I just use a stock one. My case https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00E0P7JFA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476869419&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Rosewill+Galaxy-01+Gaming+ATX+Mid+Tower+Case+for+PC+-+Black&dpPl=1&dpID=41Yls5PR1cL&ref=plSrch Will come with 3 stock fans and I don't plan on overclocking any time soon.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Only reason to get a cpu cooler would be to eliminate some noise. Which I'd also recommend the Cryorig H7 or Evo 212...which ever you can get cheaper. Thermals won't be an issue in your case, but the case fans and stock cpu fan may be loud. You can always add an aftermarket cpu fan or different case fans after you set up your system and see how audible it is to you.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube