add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help wanted, Criticism needed.

Gojam

38 months ago

This is my first PC build. I've asked this question on Reddit and have gotten no criticism in the form of no replies. I'm buying my parts in Australia, and my budget is a little more than what the build costs in USD, but as I'm ordering from a specific website (free shipping), the price goes up to about 1830 AUD or 1350 USD. I need a monitor, mouse and keyboard to go along with the computer itself.

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/j9qJwV

Thanks for your help and time.

Note: This is for 1080p Gaming

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I would change the WD 2TB HHD to This

The WD HDD is Overpriced

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The place I'm buying only sells the Hitachi in one, three and four TB. I've replaced the WD Black with a 2TB Seagate Barracuda. It's like 40 dollars cheaper.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The WD black is only marginally better (really unnoticeable) and has a longer warranty. Not worth.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your use for the PC?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

A 1080p gaming PC.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I might switch the PSU to this an EVGA 550 G2 or 650 (for the extra headroom) G2... They're fully modular and very good performers (higher end than the one you have in your list right now).

Yes, it's nearly twice as expensive in the US (not sure what it is at your site), but it's arguably a better unit (if only for being modular) and it's only ~ $30 more, which at this budget point isn't too bad. That said, it may be much more from your site or country, so it may not be worth it. But it is something to consider. I always recommend spending a little more than absolutely necessary on a power supply for piece of mind. Just an idea (and of course they are other schools of thought on it too!).

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

As I need to buy an OS, monitor, mouse, and keyboard, I can't really push for a better PSU. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll think about it.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I get that...

If you want to save money up front and are okay with upgrades later, you could get a Coolmaster Devastator II keyboard/mouse combo. I've used the original myself and they're not all that bad for the $30... They come it red, green, and blue backlights. It could shave about $60 - $90 off your build. On the other hand, it's $30 more expensive in the end if you don't end up using the combo after you've upgraded, because you spent $30 up front and then $120 later on a Strafe and Katar...

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks pretty good! I would say, if you're building a computer over $1000, you definitely should have an SSD, even if it's just 64GB for the OS. You will notice a MUCH faster boot and generally smoother operation. Also, for a bit more, I would go with a non-OEM copy of Windows, it's a lot easier to move the OS if you are going to be making frequent changes in hardware that way. My last comment, I would maybe go for a higher wattage power supply, just for upgradeability and assurance, it couldn't be much more for another 100 to 200 watts. Good luck, have fun!!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube