add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2nd Stage of Deciding 1080p Gaming Build: 1060 + i5-6600K or 1070 + stock i5-6500?

chadvictory

38 months ago

Hey everyone, so after getting some suggestions from all of you, this is the build I've generated in attempting to decide what I want my 1080p gaming build to be:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $150.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card $249.00 @ B&H
Case NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.69 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply *SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $794.54
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $784.54
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 22:37 EDT-0400

What I'm attempting to decide now is: Is it better to go with that GTX 1060 and the i5-6600K or go with a GTX 1070 and a stock i5-6500?

Of course, I'll be gaming on a regular, 60Hz 1080p monitor, with no real urgency to move to a 144Hz monitor or a 1440p monitor. I want to be able to max out the latest games (like Gears of War 4 and Battlefield 1) with every setting!

Let me know what you think and thank you for your thoughts!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're only sticking to 1080p 60Hz, then the 1060 is plenty powerful. I'd invest in a stronger platform (that is the 6600k and z170 motherboard) instead of a bunch of GPU power you won't really utilize.

If you were going for 144Hz or 1440p, my answer would be different. But 1080p60Hz, the 1060 is the sweet spot.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your opinion! I did want to ask about motherboards, what about these? Would they work?

[ASRock Fatal1ty B150 Gaming K4/Hyper] https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jrDzK8/asrock-motherboard-b150gamingk4hyper [Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3] (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wBZ2FT/gigabyte-motherboard-gah170gaming3) [Asus B150M-A Micro] (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ycbkcf/asus-motherboard-b150ma)

I was actually thinking about going away from the Asus Z170 listed in my build because people are reporting that the I/O Shield can be stubborn!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd stick with the Z170 series motherboard if you are getting the i5-6600k. It allows for overclocking if you decide to go down that path. If not, then I'd recommend the Gigabyte one and picking up the non-K version of the processor.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Are there any other alternatives to the Z170 that could be better/less finicky?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess I basically am asking for a primer on overclocking, too! Is it easy to do these days/how long would that 6600k last over the 6500?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

When it comes down to it, you will get about the same use out of the two. They are both good processors, but the 6600k will outlast the 6500. Imo, get the i5-6600k. As for the motherboard the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard is a solid motherboard. I've never had an issue with Gigabyte motherboards so I will always recommend them. Especially the gaming series motherboards. And, the best part, LED's oooohhhh ahhhhh

On the subject of overclocking, it is very easy to do. Just look up a video on youtube from a trusted tech guru, and you can do it no problem.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

With processors being so far ahead of graphic cards right now and that you will be gaming in 1080p 60Hz, I'd say get the i5-6600k with the 1060. Like fellway pointed out, its better to get a good solid base, then upgrade the graphic card as you go. While a processor might last 4-6 years of good use, a graphics card is usually changed out every 1-2 years just to keep up.

i5-6600k + 1060 GB will be plenty for 1080p gaming. Good luck with your build mate! : )

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This is probably the best reasoning and convincing I've gotten so far! Thank you! Would love your opinion on a motherboard asI listed above!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Already done ; )

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Dude, you're awesome! Mind reader!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Any other opinions?

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What reasons would you choose this for? I'm very interested to know!

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Does anyone else agree with this?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

You won't need the 1070 for gaming in 1080p. The 1060 6GB has plenty of power for 1080p. The 1070 would be a bit overkill since it's meant for 2k resolution. And don't always choose graphics over CPU. If your CPU is already performing well, then yes. But if your system is outdated, then get a powerful CPU and graphics card for what you need. You will be switching out the GPU in probably about 2 years. The CPU will last you triple that.

But when it comes down to it, the decision is yours to make. I had an AMD Phenom II X4 965 for about 6 years. I never had to worry about upgrading it until about a month ago. I replaced my GPU about 3 times during that 6 year span to keep up with games. I will always choose a more powerful CPU when it needs replaced than skimp out on the CPU to get a better GPU I would replace in 1-2 years.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess I did need to hear that. For some reason, I feel like leaning toward the 1070 even if it isn't the advised decision to make, but I look at benchmarks on YouTube and I see how well the 1070 does versus a 1060. Then again, if that difference is negligible, then I could just get a 1060. I really only want to do a 60Hz monitor and play games at ultra, of course.

And I guess the more I've looked into it (and I really don't mean to offend anyone!), I'm not too big on overclocking, either. I feel like I've watched a ton of videos in the past 12 hours talking about gains on the i5-6600k and it's...5-10% increase without super micro-managing voltage levels and what not (which I'm not really interested in)? I just don't feel like that would be substantial enough for me to notice, and I'm never one for pushing the limit so I can brag about it

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube