add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

~$1000 US Dollars editing/gaming pc

PCDanbo

38 months ago

Hello ;-)

Here is the build I am going for.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $294.68 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $109.67 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $79.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB 6GT OC Video Card $249.00 @ B&H
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1012.66
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $1002.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-16 08:59 EDT-0400

I have already bought the first four parts on the list but I have a few questions:

1) For the ram, I bought the one with CAS latency 16 but there are other brands with the same speed with CAS latency 15.

Should I return the ram I have and get one with CAS latency 15?

2) Secondly, Which one would be a better one? The MSI gtx 1060 6gb OC or the PNY gtx 1060 6gb?

I just want the one with better cooling and less noisy. The performance of the two is about the same.

3) Could someone recommend me a mid-tower case that is like the Cooler Master Box 5 but smaller? (please note I am buying the parts from Micro Center). Most of the features of the Cooler Master Box 5 are great except for the button. When I pressed the button while visiting Micro Center, the power button was a bit stiff and I did not like the sound.

I prefer cases with a spring loaded or little to no sound button push. (I never knew that I could be so picky n the case's button. Weird.....)

The most I will spend on the case is about $70 (I could go over a bit but not much)

Thanks for reading. :-)

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

1) Don't return it, CAS latency doesn't matter in most cases. The difference is only a few milliseconds, so I would say it's not worth it.

2) Get whatever is cheaper. MSI, though, has one of the quietest coolers out there, and the Gaming and Gaming X versions have fanless modes if you need that.

As for the case, you can get the NZXT S340. It's smaller, but not as great as the Masterbox 5. Tell me what features of the Masterbox do you like, and maybe I can figure something out.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This is my editing pc build though so would it be worth it to return it to get one with 1 less CAD latency.

Or is the performance difference is so little even in editing that there is no point?

As for the graphic card, I am definitely getting the MSI one. ;-)

'

What I like about the Masterbox is its black color and the panel that covers the power supply. The back has a lot of room for wiring and the installation is easy. The buttons though need work. If only they used a spring for the button then it would sound much better (I am picky with buttons who knew) unless I get used to that loud sound.

FOr the case, if it comes with a window panel, I want it to make some scratch resistance. I have a tendency to go crazy if there is a scratch. Keeps me up all night long.

P.S: I am only buying from Micro Center and I have a budget of $70 for the pc. (Would like it to last for a long time and please help me find one with a smooth simple design. Thanks.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The difference is so negligible, it only shows up in intensive benchmarks.

As for the case, now that you mentioned about windows being scratch resistant, i don't think the S340 is a good option. There is the Define S non-windowed version for $80 (price match it to Newegg): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352054

It's a really good case, I've built in it for my brother, but i don't think its smaller. There so much room in there, problem is that it has no shroud for the PSU. Other than that, i have no idea.

Also, it looks like a good build!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, you have style :-)

Do you have any other recommendations on cases from Micro Center before I buy? (they have the non-windowed one for 85 dollars but it is out of stock)

Oh, When I said big, I meant height. I have this place for a case but it is only about 18.5 inches tall

One question: Would keeping the hard drive vertical on a case like the Define S cause problems

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Not at all, other people have this case as well, its been running fine. There are other recommendations, but seeing as Microcenter is your limit, thats all I have. (If only they carried Phanteks cases)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You are talking about the Phanteks P400 aren't you...... ;-)

I will wait for a week and see if anything comes back to stock.

Thanks for your help. :-)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought half the parts for my build already......

So far I have the cpu, ram, motherboard, and ssd.

I will be getting the Western Digital 1 tb 7200 RPM, 650 watt power supply EVGA (I am getting the 6500 watt

one because the 550 watt is the same price as the 650 watt one. Pricing is weird sometimes.), and the MSI gtx 1060 6gb OC.

Is there anything I should change from this list?

That is a nice build for gaming but I am going to be editing a lot, which is why the i7 was a solid choice.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube