add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fan setup-which option is best?

nic8good

38 months ago

Hi all,

I've just ordered all the parts for my PC build but just wondered what the best fan setup would be. I have ordered the Fractal Design Define S case with 2 additional Corsair ml140 pro fans and a Corsair H100i v2 Liquid cooler. I was going to do one of the following:

1) Remove the 2 stock 140mm fans from the case and replace them with the ml140 fans (default setup-intake at the front, exhaust at the back). I would then have the h100i at the top of the case (at the back end) with the 2 fans as exhaust. I was worried this might create a very negative pressure in the case(plus i wouldn't be using the stock fans)

2) 3 fans as intake at the front (2 stock, 1 ml140), 1 ml140 as exhaust at the back and the 2 radiator fans at the top(back end) exhausting air. This will still create a negative pressure but it will be far less than option 1, although i'm not sure if using the stock fans is necessary (do i need that many fans?).

Of these options which would be best?

BTW I will be running an overclocked i5 6600k (at 4.6 hopefully) and a nvidia gtx1070 ftw overclocked (up to 2100mhz hopefully). So i think ill need fairly good cooling.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Both options presented will produce about the same situation, pressure-wise, depending on how you set the fan curve. If you for sure want to run positive, move the back fan to the bottom, and run 4-in/2-ex. You probably don't need them all, but more fans spinning slowly is quieter that fewer fans spinning fast. I say start with Option 2 and experiment from there.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

My recommendation is always go for positive pressure. More air in than out. With good filters over your intakes.

Intake at the front and bottom.

Outlet at the top and back.

Just make sure you have at least one more fan pulling air in than you have pushing it out. And you should be fine.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube