add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Time Gaming Build - Opinions?

MBP662

38 months ago

Hey y'all

First time post here as well as a first time builder. Thank you in advance for any and all assistance. Lets get started! Here is the parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dGHtCy

The main function this machine will be used for is gaming at 1080p on a 144hz monitor. Currently I am on an Overwatch binge but other games I will be playing will include Battlefield 1 and 4 .. Star Wars Battlefront .. Fallout 4 .. American & Euro Truck Simulator and Train Sim 2017. Performance wise I would like to make the most of my 144hz monitor and run games at minimum of say 80 FPS on ultra settings .. I don't believe that is unreasonable but let me know! Currently I play everything minus Train Sim 2017 at max settings; here is a brief break down of what I am pulling in each game: Overwatch: 100 -120 fps Battlefield 4: - 60 - 70 fps Battlefield 1 (beta): 60 - 70 fps Star Wars Battlefront: 50 - 65 fps depending on map Fallout 4 - 30 fps (Its been locked at 30 and I can't get it unlocked but that is another issue entirely .. it has never dropped below 30 fps) Both Truck Simulators: 30 - 144 fps (cab view drops fps significantly and I only get 144 fps in outside view in non populated areas) Train Sim 2017 - 15 - 40 fps on roughly medium settings (this game is an optimization nightmare)

As for my budget I would like to keep it under $1000 USD.. I'm about $200 away from that so there is some space to breath if anyone has suggestions. I bought a pre-build last year that I have been using and did some minor upgrades to it. I currently own the GPU (NVIDIA 1070), PSU (Corsair 650W) and the monitor (ASUS VG248QE) that I will be moving from my current pre-build into the new build. I also have a 1TB HDD I will move over as well. I am currently running an AMD FX-6300 on an AMD 760G chipset MOBO which actually works well with the 1070.

My theme for the build is a black and white color combo. I picked the RAM i did mainly for the white LED lights to match the aesthetics but I am not against low profile ram as I have heard the CPU cooler can make things difficult fitting RAM in. I went with a full tower so if I want to water cool down the road I have more than enough space to do it and I really liked the ease of access via the hinged side panels with the large window. Still undecided on overclocking as I do not know much about it yet but I like to keep my options open. I believe I covered everything .. and maybe a little too much. I am open to critique and suggestions!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks pretty good should be a Power house for your gaming. I know I will get slaughtered for suggesting an AIO but it does look cool https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F8rcCJ/deepcool-cpu-cooler-captain240white just looked on Amazon because that is out of stock and it looks like the Rad is also white on this one https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-CAPTAIN-240-EX-WHITE/dp/B01GZOV5CG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476640841&sr=8-1&keywords=deepcool+captain+240+white

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $248.21 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $50.02 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $167.64 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $87.08 @ NCIX US
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $130.63 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $154.51 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $838.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-16 13:58 EDT-0400

The Thermaltake Core P3 Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case is a beautiful case, but if you don't want to spend that much on a case then you can also get This or This

The cool things about the aura motherboards is that it's one of the newer boards, it has white and black PCB, and the board has RGB lighting. This is also a great video about it.

I would Overlclock as it's extra preformance and power, and it's reletivly safe

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

That is the first time I have ever seen a case like that. It would certainly be a talking point when someone sees it sitting there! The open air structure is an interesting style. People did seem to have issues with the PCIe riser cards though reading the reviews. Certainly will consider it! I like that MOBO too and I heard ASUS had the best BIOS as well. Thanks!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

My pleasure!

I can agree with you that ASUS has the best bios

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm a huge fan of glass cases, especially if you're trying to show off your components. I threw in the i7-6700k as an option. It's not really needed for gaming, but it will extend the life of the computer as games start to utilize more cores. It also makes it better if you decide to ever stream with the machine (I've actually run into this exact issue and have been needing to upgrade to the i7 in my own personal machine)

Kept the white/black theme, using the cooler that Porky suggested. Replaced the RAM modules with actual white modules, larger SSD (which is white/silver) and probably the best looking mid tower case you can get, especially if you decide to go for water cooling.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.95 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Deepcool CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $140.13 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $87.68 @ NCIX US
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Newegg
Case Inwin 805 BLACK ATX Mid Tower Case $169.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $937.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-16 15:05 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube