add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for feedback on PC build list

Papparone

38 months ago

Hi Everyone,

EDITED Just wanted to ask for some feedback about this PC Build List I have come up with below. I am not a hardcore gamer but would like to be able to play the latest and greatest racing games (Forza, NFS) and Starcraft. I also do a lot of creativity work (Adobe Creative Suite), Designing (Autodesk programs) and looking to get into Website design in the near future.

Here is the list I have come up with after doing a lot of research and reading reviews. after your suggestions below and further research I have changed my list, please take a look and let me know what you think http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6tx3RG

Some extra details/reason behind the items I have chosen:

• planning to use the 500GB SSD as the boot drive and install the programs on

• planning to use two of the 2TB drives as a Raid1 or windows mirror to act as my main data storage (music, documents, etc)

• 3rd 2TB drive would be use for backing-up boot drive & storing/accessing Dropbox 1TB via desktop app.

• I figured 16GB RAM will be plenty to start off but may add 1 more 8GB stick for 24GB in total (is this a good idea or no)? Also I didnt find much difference performance wise in ram sticks above DDR4-2133? Are these sticks the best option?

• I went with the i7 6700K as based on reviews and research it seems to be the better choice for multitasking and content creation over the i5 6600k

• I haven't done any overclocking before but not sure if I will attempt it with this system but would like to have that feature available should I decide otherwise.

- I went with the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC card versus the other EVGA 2 fan cards like GTX 1060 SSC because it seems that the single fan one has the better (& More) reviews and performs just as well as the 2 fan ones. I do want to go with EVGA and looking to hook up 3 monitors via Displayports which this card has 3 displayports. Plus, this card seemed like the best value/performance in the GTX 1060 range (I am not looking to go 1070 or 1080 yet). I've decided to future proof my build a little more and spend the money and go with the EVGA GTX 1070 SC

• Fractal Design case was picked due to a friend using the same case and indicating that it is very quiet and clean looking. I also like the dust filters that it comes with as well.

- Picked the NZXT CPU liquid cooler over the corsair ones as it seems to have the better rating and looks better in my opinion. I was considering the Cryorig H7 (https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7) if i went with Air cooling but after watching videos and reading reviews, it seems that liquid cooling is the best option for the i7 6700K CPU. Any reason I should go back to Air Cooling? I have changed to the Phantek CPU cooler after your comments and future research

- Planning to mount the NZXT rad and fan at the back top of the case and moving the back case fan to the front so that there are two fans at the front. Does anyone know if mounting this NZXT rad/fan as I have indicated will interfere with the Z170A mobo I/O cover?

• Asus mobo seems to be the best option for my build and I wanted an easy to use BIOS (which I have read that Asus provides the most user-friendly)

• last but not least, I do not want anything "red" in this case as it is my least favourite colour and I don't need lights and all that jazz.

I look forward to hearing your feedback/suggestions as I want to make sure I am on the right track to building a great system for my needs. Thanks!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

3rd 2TB drive would be use for backing-up boot drive & storing/accessing Dropbox 1TB via desktop app.

If you want to use it as backup I would suggest using a external HDD or something that isn't in the PC in case you get randsomware or something phyically happens to the PC.

I haven't done any overclocking before but not sure if I will attempt it with this system but would like to have that feature available should I decide otherwise.

Its free performance for the GPU and you are getting a unlocked CPU, a Z170 motherboard, and a aftermarket cooler so no reason not to do it for the CPU either.

seems that the single fan one has the better (& More) reviews and performs just as well as the 2 fan ones.

It lacks liquid heatpipes so its not going to cool as well as card with two fans and heatisnks with liquid heatpipes still the heatpipes will allow for better cooling vs. using what is basically a hunk of metal.

if i went with Air cooling but after watching videos and reading reviews, it seems that liquid cooling is the best option for the i7 6700K CPU. Any reason I should go back to Air Cooling?

There is no such thing as a "air cooler" or "liquid cooler. Both a HSF( HeatSink and Fan) aka a "air cooler" uses liquid to cool along with air and a AIO cooler aka "liquid" uses air to help cool.

As for what to get here are the cons and pros of each.

HSF

Pros

-Usually provide better bang for your buck

-Usually are quieter due to less moving parts

-Can't leak unless you take a hacksaw to it.

Cons

-If you want the best cooler possible and price size isn't a issue you won't want a HSF.

-Some people don't think they look good although you can definitely get a good looking one imo.

-Blocks view some of the motherboard.

-Ram clearance can be a issue depending on the HSF in question.

Not going to mention size compatibly issues since that can a issue for both and easily avoided by research.

AIO coolers

Pros

-If you want the best performance possible you can get it with a 280MM or 360MM rad which usually better than a dual tower/heatsink HSF. With a 240MM it really just depends on which one, some are worse and some are better.

-They can definitely look better

-They can offer a better view of your motherboard.

-Ram clearance isn't a issue.

Cons

-They often have a worse bang for your buck.

-They generally are louder due to more moving parts.

-They can leak but its super rare to happen, I'm willing to say less than 1% of AIO coolers leak and companies like Corsair will pay for damage if it does happen.

-The pump is likely the first thing to die on them and if it does you will have really poor passive cooling due it having the pump move liquid around where as with a HSF the liquid moves itself around so it can still passive cool ok depending on which one even if the fans dies. Although any recent CPU will shut down once it gets pass a unsafe temperature so its not a big deal if it does happen.

A high end HSF can get better performance than that AIO cooler, a AIO isn't always better just because its a AIO cooler. Also you can still overclock quite high on a HSF. I'm using a HSF on my i5 6600K at 4.8Ghz and generally don't go above 70C.

which I have read that Asus provides the most user-friendly

All manufacturers have pretty easy to use BIOS. Also that motherboard has a brownish PCB so if you want a black and white build you won't want that board. I would suggest a MSI Krait instead.

(is this a good idea or no)?

You will want the exact same RAM so it could be a challenge to do. it would be just easier to buy the same kit again.

Also I didnt find much difference performance wise in ram sticks above DDR4-2133?

There definetly can be a difference depending on what you are doing.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh my. +1

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, thanks for your reply, can you please elaborate the +1 comment? thanks,

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You replied to me, not vaga/op....

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Vagabond139,

Thank you for your feedback, couple questions:

1. GPU - the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC from what I understand does have the heatpipes whereas the (Non-SC) version does not. Do you still recommend 2 fans ones?

2. I was able to find the 8GB single stick: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/8hM323/kingston-memory-hx421c14fb8

3. What product would you recommend for the CPU cooler in this case? Sounds like you are pro HSF ones? be quiet dark pro 3? My concern with HSF ones is interference with ram sticks.

4. I am ok with the little bit of brown in the Mobo.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU - the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC from what I understand does have the heatpipes whereas the (Non-SC) version does not. Do you still recommend 2 fans ones?

Upon farther examination it does appear to have some heatpipes, they are just very hidden well. A card with two fans generally will have a larger surface area on the cooler which provided only the surface area changed and aren't changing anything else will increase cooling.

There is a MSI that matches your color scheme, its cheaper, and it should provide better cooling, and it will help fill up the case more.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/HN648d/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-gaming-x-video-card-geforce-gtx-1060-6gt-oc

I was able to find the 8GB single stick: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/8hM323/kingston-memory-hx421c14fb8

That could work. Although you could get faster RAM for about $5 more that is the same color.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3CdFf7/gskill-ripjaws-v-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f4-3000c15d-16gvkb

What product would you recommend for the CPU cooler in this case? Sounds like you are pro HSF ones? be quiet dark pro 3? My concern with HSF ones is interference with ram sticks.

Most HSF's will allow you to raise the front fan up to help clear the RAM and RAM clearance is usually only a issue with tall RAM. If I was you I would either for a 240MM/280MM AIO cooler or just stick to a HSF.

For a AIO cooler option I would go with this.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Dt8H99/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-acfre00013a

For a HSF option there is this.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/wdkD4D/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc14pebk

Both coolers match your color scheme too.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the additional comments. I think I will be changing the CPU to the Phanteks one you have suggested. i have also updated my parts list. Please take a look and let me know what you think of the changes: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/

thanks a bunch! (also updated the general topic text to suit)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube