add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A $1400 PC for recording, editing, and streaming video games.

CrispyCram

38 months ago

So before I share my layout that I have so far, subject to change, that's what it's in the opinion section, let me share with you what I plan on using this PC for. Before I even had the idea of buying a new PC, I used to play a lot of games on my old one. They didn't run great, but I was content at the time. Then I stumbled across YouTube and Twitch, and was immediately hooked. I wanted to try it myself, and so I did, but seeing as the games were already bad, trying to record or stream while playing was nigh unto impossible. So, I've decided it's time for a new rig to fulfill my desires. I plan on recording and streaming games such as Dark Souls 3, Skyrim ESV, PlanetSide 2, CS:GO, Borderlands, Rust, DB Xenoverse 2, Kerbal Space Program. The list is very long, but I figured I'd name a few of the less and more intensive games. Anyways, with all that said, here's what I've come up with so far. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tt6W9W

CPU: I went with the i7 6700k because well, it's a freak of nature. 4 hyper-threaded cores, so basically 8 cores at 4.0 GHz? I'll take it. CPU Cooler: This is one that I haven't been able to decide on. I originally had the Noctua NH-C14S, but I read a few reviews that said it was too big, so I want to play it safe. Mobo: I'll be honest, no idea what I'm doing here. Plz halp. Memory: I wanted no more and no less that 16 GB RAM, so that's what I went with. I chose G.Skill Ripjaws because my friends have it, just kind of biased. SSD: It was this or a 1 TB SSD for $100 more, so the choice was kind of clear in my eyes. Plenty of space for and OS and games. HDD: I don't really know about this one either. 3 TB for a pretty small price. Again, more than enough room. GPU: The 1070 is already one of the best (3rd I believe) GPU's on the market, capable of crushing most games at 1080 and 1440p. It may be a bit overkill for what I want, but I personally was trying to keep in mind the possibility of playing more demanding games in the future, so again, I'm playing it safe. Case: I've heard that this is a very good case for keeping good everything inside nice and cool, but I do have to say, I'd like a case with a bit of blue if anybody can recommend something like that. PSU: I've heard that SeaSonic is one of the best PSU makers today, so that's why I chose their brand. I went with a 650W in case I want to expand in the future.

Any recommendations for any parts are totally welcome, just try to keep the price around or under $1400. I'd say $50 above, any amount below works. Thanks to all!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $353.77 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $50.02 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $167.64 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $81.64 @ NCIX US
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $130.63 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $50.08 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card $435.46 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case $76.19 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $98.85 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1454.28
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $1444.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-17 18:32 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, not trying to come across as sarcastic or rude, but could you please explain why you made those changes? Still learning a bit, I'd like to hear why certain parts that you chose are better, and why some were expandable*.

*R.I.P. my poor storage selections.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to overclock, then you need a z board. The mobo i chose is a really good z board and it's one of their newer boards. It even has LEDs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSB8DpODSlY I chose the Scythe FUMA as it is a very good cooler and if you tighten it far enough it can actually beat the Cryorig R1 and the Noctua D15 performance wise. I chose 525gb SSD, to have things like fast boot times, while the HHD can be used to store large files, like games. The EVGA SuperNova g2 is really good, but the one you chose is also good. Plus EVGA has a really good warranty.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube