add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build - from a Yugo to a Bugatti

Gavrev

38 months ago

Hi peeps,

I'm currently, after much deliberation, hovering around the following parts for my first build (Kaby Lake notwithstanding, as it may be into the new year before I can get the funds together):

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/spfBvV

As the title suggests ANYTHING will be up - I won't even say what I'm upgrading from, it's embarrassing. I can say that I was looking at the i3 6320 CPU within the same component build, as a means of reducing initial costs whilst giving myself a possible upgrade path, but am feeling that this may create a bottleneck with the 1070 GPU. Overall I'm looking at a build which will satisfy half decent gaming performance at 1440p, sits comfortably within the Photoshop and Zbrush realms, whilst also potentially offering something to the table with a VR/HTC Vive flavour, and would value opinions on this build as a base from which to work.

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm.. Interesting that you picked on the Asus Z170a.. I'd been looking in the initial stages at the Asus Z170 Pro, as well as faster memory. Maybe I have been a bit stingy considering the sums involved with the overall project. As for the rear fan, my plan was to relocate the fan from the front of the Corsair case to the rear, and use the Thermaltake 3 pack RGB to supply front intake (x2 140mm) and pop the last one as an exhaust above the mobo (rear 120mm, top 140mm) for slight positive pressure, leaving me a spare fan. As you say it's then silicon lottery time.. Thanks for the insight and input!

Given your thoughts on this as well as the fact that I've watched the Asus range before I've plumped for the Asus Z170 Pro at this time, up a bit from the Z170-A for board quality and better audio.

I think I've also obliterated the Thermaltake fans and opted to go with the full Corsair RGB 460X case (another slight initial cost cut), with an option to fit another 120/140mm exhaust fan up top, should it be needed.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep! I'm working on the basis that I can manage without the Thermatake fans against price (it's only a marginal reduction, but I think it'll keep things simple and the corsair fans are pretty tidy). The case with three fans will provide a combined 360mm worth of intake against 120mm exhaust (with a potential extra 120mm additional) - a good thing in the quest for positive pressure to help keep that dust out. The Aus Pro choice has boiled down to the audio, better build quality and seemingly reported better OC performance.. a gain probably a marginal thing, but worth having in the grand scheme of things. :o)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers bud! It's looking like a plan, Kaby Lake specs notwithstanding as I say..

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube