add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A novice who need some honest advice!!

jamesalexparry

38 months ago

Hello all, just so you can understand my background with computers, i'm the guy who picks up a 'good deal' laptop at currys...

i'm now looking to buy a custom pc and have been emailing companies in my local area.

i have recieved a promising email back from one such company and it seems maybe too good to be true??? bear in mind i'm no expert, these are the specs.

2 x quad core xeon proccessors (8 cores) 96GB RAM (yes 96) DDDR3 a GTX 980 gfx card hp workstation 1.5TB HHD windows 10 installed

i asked for a workstation that was capable of playing games also... ive done some research on the parts that i can, (im not sure which XEON model they are....

they tell me the GFX card processors and RAM are all brand new.....

this all for £795 which with the current exchange rate is around £1000

is this a good build?

thank you!!! James

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

James, looks a bit fishy (the technical term for that amount of RAM is a sh1t-t0n), the good folk of PCPP can do better than this I'm sure ;)

A couple of key questions would be:

• what kind of workstation uses did you have in mind; video editing, CAD/3D, 2D gfx for instance? Or do you just mean Office etc?

• what kind of games do you play / want to play?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I use solidworks, photoshop, 3Ds max and keyshot for rendering. games wise... battlefield 4 and 1 when its released...

I'm a student and primarily its for work, however i do like to play games when i have a bit of free time.

as far as i'm aware a GTX 980 will run solidworks with few issues however it isn't certified by solidworks, especially as im not doing and monster assemblies... i have issues on my laptop with rendering times and for some reason which i cant understand, it struggles with photoshop!!!!

thanks!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting and challenging mix.

SW really hums on Quadro cards, but the newer ones are out with your budget. Max will fly on an NVidia 10 series, especially when compared to a 980.

Multi-core CPUs would help with simulation in SW and rendering in both SW and Max, but they won't help much at all with games.

So... depending on the CPUs being offered it could be a reasonable deal, that is a lot of RAM after all IF you will be utilising it. But bear in mind that 8 cores of 1.8Ghz Xeons for instance may well be inferior in performance to a lot of more recent Skylake processors which are well suited to gaming. Also, the 980 is kind of being dumped on you as it becomes an increasingly unpopular consumer choice, so it's right that it should be very heavily discounted.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so the processors he is offering are Xeon 5530 (x2) After a quick Google it turns out they are around 7 years old....??

I found out that while modelling on SW it uses 'single threading' so actually 2 processors won't really help me that much.....??? Best in mind each processor will each have 48GB of DDR3.....

Would I benefit spending a little more and getting an i7?? Or can anyone give me advice on a good build for what I need?

Cheers again! Jim

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You will only get a benefit from multi-threading when rendering out.

So it's a reasonable deal, but it should be, because it's old tech throughout.

For your mix of CAD and gaming I'd recommend 6500 or 6600/6600K or 6700/6700K depending on your budget and comfort level with overclocking. For GPU you should go with NVidia 1070 or 1080 if you can, again depending on budget.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm waiting for the guy to get back to me about the processors.

all i know is that it will be '2 Quad Core Xeon processors - 8 cores in total' his words.

i don't know the model until he gets back to me unfortunately. however as soon as i get the word ill be sure to post.

cheers

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube