add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New builder looking for some thoughts and opinions for a kind of spendy rig

Darkfine

38 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RgTsKZ

I would eventually like to get into 4k gaming in a year or so and want a good solid foundation for when that happens. I am not even remotely interested in VR(can barely handle being in a car or playing first person shooters). All of that said this will eventually lead in to an sli 1080 setup for 60fps 4k gaming I hope. Now for questions!

Does what I have here start to accomplish that?

The mobo only supports 2400 ram, will that be an issue later?

Could I skimp on a cooling solution and just do a fan at this point or it is worth it to just take the leap into water cooling while I know I can afford it?

I am hearing a lot of conflicting things about RAM, being told 16 is fine from some and I should go to 32 from others. Thoughts on that?

I am on the fence about storage. A not small part of me wants to just go all SSD, but that is just a huge jump in price and I am not sure if it is worth it or not.

Lastly, thoughts on the monitor would be greatly appreciated. I know it is a little expensive but I would hate to put all of this money into a rig and have the monitor not able to take advantage.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Most games right now don't even use 8GB, so 16GB would be the sweet spot.

Also since you're just gaming I'd drop the SSD you have and get a standard SATA one. You'll able to get one with double the storage for less than that one, and you won't notice a difference between the two. PCIe SSDs really only see benefit in transferring of massive files, which unless you plan on doing, there's no point to that one.

If you don't plan on overclocking, an HSF cooler will be fine, and even good for some light-medium overclocking. If you want to get the most that you can out of the CPU, the AIO you have is fine.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the replies! Good to know I am mostly on the right track, will drop win10 to home edition. After looking around for a minute I am leaning toward https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ztp323/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5ultimate instead of the water cooling. I was initially interested in oc but I'm not going to lie, the thought of leaks makes me super nervous.

As to the SSD I am still torn, even though you are more than likely right about dropping the m.2 for a standard SSD for more storage there is something about the bleeding edge speed that does it for me. Will need to ponder further.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube