add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Creating a build with easy 4k compadibility

carrotstherabbi

38 months ago

Starting off, I'm quite new to the game. I just recently started researching computer parts and am still unsure on a number of things. The primary function of this computer would be for audio recording, but able to handle 4k 60fps gaming. I'm hoping to keep the cost just under $1,500, if that would be possible. If not I would not mind 1980x1080. Any comments on what should/shouldn't be in this build would be greatly appreciated. Thanks http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qQGW9W

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Zero reason to go AMD currently. All of the FX series are out done by the i5 6400. PSU is meh and is overpriced. You don't need 16GB of RAM. That HDD is insanely overpriced. Are you using mail in rebates?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely wont be able to handle games more intensive than Rocket League at 4k. Better off aiming for 1080p. Much better to go intel as well.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Not much on rebates about $35 all together, any suggestions for power supply and hdd?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Also you need to reply to people if you want them to get a notification of your response otherwise they won't know you commented unless they come back.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I will remember this, thank you

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

And would I have to switch motherboards if I was to use the i5 6400?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a much better option.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $195.79 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $77.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $74.73 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW DT GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card $404.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case $68.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $71.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer S277HK wmidpp 27.0" 60Hz Monitor $465.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1478.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-20 20:23 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $195.79 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $82.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $44.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card $603.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case $68.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor AOC U2879VF 28.0" 60Hz Monitor $299.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1496.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-20 20:36 EDT-0400

It has a GTX 1080 which you will want for 4K. It has a better motherboard. A insanely better PSU.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, would water cooling make much of a difference for this build? It shouldn't need it?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

A AIO cooler would be a total waste of money for this build since the CPU is locked and for bang for your buck you want a HSF. You would be wanting to spend around ~$110 for one that is worth your money and you don't even need a aftermarket cooler since the the CPU comes with a stock cooler. It make literally zero difference since all it would do is provided extra cooling the CPU doesn't need and even if you did want to overclock you should just get a HSF.

It shouldn't need it?

No. That myth or whatever you want to call is mainly becasue every prebuilt manufacturer likes to throw in crappy thin 120MM AIO coolers since some people think AIO coolers are the greatest thing since sliced bread even though they usually don't have a good bang for your buck.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I getcha, and again thank you for your time. From most of your input, I've come up with this for a build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/H9dNpb

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It has a worse motherboard ,a worse PSU. slower RAM, and no SSD I would just go back to my build and switch cases if you want to and throw in more RAM of equal or greater speed although you really won't see any difference between the two.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a ton

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

So something like this? http://pcpartpicker.com/list/M4cQyf And what if I'm looking for an SSD with at least 1 terabyte?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all your build suggestions!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube