add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Gaming PC Build

BIueKnight

38 months ago

Hello,

I am a well versed computer user. I have only ever built a computer once before, and it didn't last very long. I have come to redeem myself. I would like an high end gaming PC. My budget is capped at 1800. I am not a complete newbie when it comes to hardware, though i could stand to learn some of the more advanced workings of the hardware side of things. My main skill set is in software development so i know how important it is to hard hardware that works well together and don't overheat. Hears the catch, I am visually impaired and a, "top of the line" video cards doesn't seem all the beneficial to me besides being able to play games at require specs for the next 10 years. I can tell no difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, though others claim there is. At any rate that build focuses on mostly RAM and CPU power. with a SSD for mad read and write speed and a portable drive for storing barely accessed data. I threw in a blu-ray reader/writer cause being a software dev i need the hardware to write to bigger discs. Once again. I'm not hardware savey so please let me know any changes or optimizations that need to be made. preferable to save some money. Putting in a 1080 video card is not out of the question but i want it to be affordable.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BIueKnight/saved/XRV6hM

Thank you for all your help. :)

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

64GB of RAM is a totally waste, 8GB is enough and you wouldn't noitce and difference and 16GB of RAM is conisdered overkill so just get 16GB. If you a visually impaired you won't even noticed the difference between a i7 6700K at 5Ghz and a i3 6100 so I would get a i5 6600K at the highest and that is if you are going to overclock. Also I am assuming you are playing at 1080P so once again if you honestly can't tell the difference between 60FPS and 30FPS you can easily get by with a GTX 1060. You don't need a 850 watt PSU. Also you definetly can get a better case for that price range.

http://30vs60.com/

http://www.30vs60fps.com/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $234.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $19.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $151.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $245.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB 6GT OC Video Card $249.00 @ B&H
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case $68.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
External Storage Seagate Expansion 4TB External Hard Drive $109.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1321.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-20 22:29 EDT-0400

I saved a **** ton of money and got a huge SSD.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much. Especially for those two links. The difference is there but is soooo negligible that my eyes hardly process it. So i can see the drop in the video card being a nice thing to do. I do have a question though, for future reference, how do you calculate how much wattage to give a computer based on specs? Also, wouldn't it be best to stick with the higher end CPU given that the power of that CPU could be used for more then just video processing unlike the GPU? I do like your adjustments though, just asking questions to better understand the how the hardware works together.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if the build's purpose is gaming only, then there will only be a small difference in fps (2-5 fps) but if you also want to do heavy CPU tasks like rendering, then I'd recommend the i7-6700k.

Here you can calculate the power your system will need. It is said that PSU's work at best efficiency when 50% of their maximum output is used. Link

vagabond made really decent changes. Only one thing I would change: Get a better Cooler. The M9i won't be sufficent once you start overclocking. I can recommend you the Cryorig H7.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The M9i won't be sufficent once you start overclocking. I can recommend you the Cryorig H7.

It is on par with a Evo 212 which is only a few degrees behind the H7 cooling wise. If the M9i won't be enough neither will the H7.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

how do you calculate how much wattage to give a computer based on specs?

PCPP if you want to be lazy although its not accurate but it is usually close and does lean on the side of caution. For best results real word usage tests. PSU calculators tend not to be accurate.

wouldn't it be best to stick with the higher end CPU given that the power of that CPU could be used for more then just video processing unlike the GPU?

???The GPU job is to handle graphical information, not the CPU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube