add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power consumption question

trueboss345
  • 41 months ago

Hello all, I am wondering about the electricity usage depending on the type of power supply I get. So let's say I get something like a 900w power supply, so when I check my electricity bill , is it actually going to say I used 900w all the time? Or maybe when the computer is idle, then would it show a different kind of rating. I ask because I am concerned about the electricity usage. Another example I have, if I have 2 kinds of computers at idle, one with 400w PSU and another with 900w, are they both going to show as the same actual usage consumption on my electricity bill? Hope that makes sense, thanks.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Your PC will only use as much as it needs (plus slightly more due to imperfect power efficiency of the power supply). So if you have a 900W supply, you won't be pulling that much all the time or maybe ever if your components don't demand that much.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

no, then yes

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 500W PSU in my system and have ampmeter connected at the wall. On idle it eats about 70W from the wall. On load it ramps up to ~220W from the wall.

It would be a bummer and a space heater if it would constantly and always use all 500W :D

So probably (depending on your systems) you will have around 200W when idle for both systems combined.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube