add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade to from r9 390 to gtx 1070 for 1440p?

Usoppkunn

38 months ago

Have had this build for a while now but I recently just got an ultrawide monitor (HP 34") and it seems like running games and max quality at 1440p isnt gonna do it. So I was debating on upgrading my gpu to a 1070 and hopefully play games at the settings I want. After this I probably dont want to upgrade again for a while so if there is something better you guys can recommend, please let me know. Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Usoppkunn/saved/ndZ323

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

1070 will handle it fine; the 390 can too if you don't max all settings.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I plan on maxing most of the settings to get the most of the games I will play

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah a 1070 will do 1440p 60FPS on ultra on most games. Some will be around 45 and others 75, but for the most part a 1070 should be fine. If you want more than 60fps, then 1080 is your next best bet

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Possible bottlenecking with the 1080?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well as someone who knows more about that than me would say you will always get a bottleneck something is always holding something else back but in general no you wont notice ,and I don't suppose you have overclocked have you?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I have but it's been a while since I have touched some settings. I usually leave everything at stock since it is not needed.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You won't bottleneck the 1080 with your cpu, but with my current setup with an i7 and a 980ti (5 frames on avg less than the 1070 on most games), there are still some games that I can't run smoothly at 60fps on ultra at 1440p. If you want for sure 60fps 1440p ultra, it is better to invest in the 1080, or if you don't mind lowering some settings, the 1070 is perfectly fine.

The major test bench for me is rise of the tomb raider, and I still had to lower settings to get a constant 60FPS on quality settings for 1440p

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the great info, I'll definitely look into this

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Not likely. Overclock your CPU to decrease the chance of this.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube