add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Video Editing / Gaming on a budget

jamesconkle

38 months ago

Im in the process of selling my iMac for $1350 and would like a machine to handle video color grading in DaVinci Resolve and play your standard fare games. Looking to spend about just as much on this as I'm getting for my iMac.

I put this list together and it came out a little more expensive, but I think it'll be worth it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $334.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $128.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $81.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $135.94 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $118.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $118.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Extreme Video Card $464.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1670.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-22 23:29 EDT-0400

I would like a 6 core CPU or just to have the X99 mobo to upgrade the CPU in the future, but with my budget I though I could go with a 1150 mobo and overclock from there.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

That PSU isn't good and is insanely overpriced, the HDD's are very overpriced, the CPU is two gens out. A X99 motherboard is only compatible with Haswell E or Broadwell E CPU's so Haswell or Skylake CPU's won't work with it. What is your max budget?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now I can afford $1600 for the tower, so not including my displays.

I thought I might get more bang for my buck with slightly older hardware = discounts, sales and DDR3 being cheaper

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

DRR3 costs the same amount and Intel never drop the prices on their CPU's and the motherboards really don't drop in price either much due to supply and demand. Also that AIO is of bad value and is a older model.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $328.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $149.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.98 @ Directron
Storage Toshiba X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $136.99 @ B&H
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card $394.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $82.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1418.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-23 00:53 EDT-0400

It has a better CPU, fast RAM, a bigger SSD, a 4TB although I have no idea of what your plans were for the two drives, a much cheaper and equal or better performing CPU cooler, a better case, a better PSU, and its a lot cheaper.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it!

Two drives will be in RAID1 and store video. SSD runs OS and programs of course.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If I was you I would just throw in another 4TB HDD since its within budget and it never hurts to have more storage than you need.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point, that way when one drive fails I can go ahead and rebuild right away.

Also, I was trying to buy from Micro Center - they're pretty close and I like supporting them. But they don't cary the Scythe cooler. Do you think going with a Noctua would be a good idea? Or that high rated Coolermaster?

Just looked into closed loop vs air cooled and the difference doesn't seem to be huge. You still think I can OC?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think going with a Noctua would be a good idea? Or that high rated Coolermaster?

The Fuma out performs even the D15 for cheaper and Coolmaster hasn't made any worthwhile "high end" cooler for years now so the Fuma would just murder anything they offer. The Fuma has unbeatable bang for your buck.

http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/

Just looked into closed loop vs air cooled and the difference doesn't seem to be huge.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/164342-air-vs-liquid-cooling#cx1759606

You still think I can OC?

I'm using a Fuma and have my i5 6600K at 4.8Ghz and stay around 70C under full load and can do 4.9Ghz at ~77C. The Fuma will have no problem with handling overclocking.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Vagabond :) I'll be heading out in a few hours to pick everything up. Wish me luck

In the meantime I'll just use the stock cooler and hold off on OC'ing

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube