add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, could use some advice on what ive picked.

jamesalexparry

38 months ago

Hi guys check out my build.

i have a couple of things i need help with... 1. Do i need thermal paste? 2. the case i have picked doesn't have space for a DVD drive so how on earth do i install an operating system?? 3. Is all this compatible and will it all fit in the case? 4. Ive never built one before, and wouldn't say I'm hugely confident even after watching a few 'how to' vids... how likely am i to royally fudge this up?? 5. ive gone a bit over my budget, what would you do to make this build cheaper without compromising too much on potential power?

also i may add, a friend suggested i get the i7 as i can overclock it and get a good bit more bang for my buck, hence the Cooling unit, do i need it? if i downgraded my CPU to an i5 could i forget about the cooling unit and same some gold??

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jamesalexparry/saved/#view=YQNQ7P

cheers. JIM

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. Theremal paste will probably be on cooling unit, but if you want to make sure just buy 5$ one, you'll need to replace it anyway sometimes in the future
  2. If you ant to install the OS from dics, you must change case than, if not you can find some other way to install it, for example if you have olp pc, just put ne HDD in there and install, there are plenty more ways...
  3. Everything will fit in case, otherwise partpicker would worn you.
  4. As for building it's not that hard, every part comes with instructions how to install it and where to stick what, if you still aren't sure you might get some help from friend or something
  5. As for saving money, if you plan on gaming, not video editing or something like that, there is no such difference in i5 and i7, so just get 6600k if you want to overclock, if not just go with 6500 and h170 mobo

Its no matter if its i5 or i7 for cooling units, k versions don't come with stock coolers you you have to buy aftermarket one(i5 6600k and i7 6700k) . Non k versions do come with stock cooler (i7 6700, i5 6600, 6500, 6400). And even if u want to overclock this cpu (but not extreme overclock) you still don't need this expensive cooling unit, there are some very nice air coolers: noctua nhd14,15 dark rock 3 looks nice etc.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Just about any aftermarket cooler will come with paste. The 212 EVO does for sure.

2. Your case has DVD drive space, it's just behind the front door of the case.

3. Everything on your list is compatible.

4. If you've done as much research as you say, you'll do fine.

5. There are good Z170 MBs for closer to $100. I have an MSI Z170-A PRO that's working great. An MX300 SSD would save you a few dollars. EVGA GQ PSUs are on sale at Newegg, but that ends today. That 970 is priced twice what it should be. Get an RX480 or GTX1060, or a 1070 if you can afford $400 for a GPU. A Cryorig M9i will save you $10, but might not get you as much of an overclock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU *Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $328.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $19.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $97.99 @ Amazon
Memory *Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $86.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage *Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card $244.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $74.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $72.00 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System *Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $38.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1188.73
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-24 17:45 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

hi, sorry for the late reply and thanks for the swift one.

ok so the GPU twin frozr GTX970 4gb isn't as good as the much cheaper 1060 6gb??? this doesn't make sense to me, as i would assume the 1060 is better and newer and so the 9XX range would be at a lower price?!??

will the 212 fan i picked be sufficient to overclock the processor to 4.5GHZ?

i think im gonna go ahead with this build... i just need to be a bit more confident on the GPU... is the 1060 sufficient for 1080p gaming at 60fps????

thanks again. jim

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Funny things happen to prices when a product is discontinued. The GTX 970 launched at $330, and sold at about that price for most of its life. With the release of the 1000-series (GTX 1080/1070/1060/1050), 970s went out of production. The stuff you're seeing for sale is mostly leftovers, and retailers take advantage of people that want a specific product or don't know that something better has come along. Performance-wise, the GTX 1060 6GB is actually a little faster than the 970, and is usually around $260. If that's the performance level you're looking for, 1060 is absolutely the way to go. 970s bottom out at about $240 unless you hit a sale (I've seen them as low as $200).

I'm not an expert overclocker, nor do I have a 6700K, but research suggests that a 212 EVO will get you to 4.5 GHz on a decent chip. It doesn't come with the greatest fan, though, and as an older design, newer suff has eclipsed it at the same price level. If you don't want to spend more on a cooler, the Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 is a great option (source: Tom's Hardware). It beat out coolers costing twice as much, though with slightly more noise. It'll be louder than the EVO at idle, but quieter at high speed.

1060 will be great for 60fps at 1080p.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube