add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Time Picking a Case

BeeZee

73 months ago

Here's my case-less build (I'll also type it out at the bottom of the post).

I've never picked out a case (my current, and first, case was given to me as a gift but won't work with my new setup) and would like suggestions!

I've tried to write down all aspects worth judging in a case, and I ordered them in (my opinion of) importance.

Top Tier:

• Everything can be arranged for good ventilation (I'm not currently planning on liquid cooling, see possible future additions).
  • Adequate number and location of external features (3.0 usb ports in front, a couple of external bays, appropriate sockets/ports in the back, non-awkward power button placement, etc)
  • Everything can be arranged for easy installation and maintenance.
  • Sturdy. It'll ride in the backseat for the full day's drive when I visit family (happens about 10 times a year at most).

Middle Tier:

• Price. I don't have a concrete budget, but I also try to be smart with my money.
  • Ease of opening/closing.
  • Possible future additions. I plan on using this build for awhile (more than 3 years) and only updating hardware as needed. Assuming my build isn't flawed (please check!), I won't need liquid cooling until far enough in the future that possibly having to buy a new case is more related to the above-mentioned price consideration than anything else. Hope that wasn't confusing...

Bottom Tier:

• Aesthetics. I don't really care what it looks like, and it kinda sits out of sight anyway.

Big please and thank you for any suggestions!

I linked my build above, but here it is as well:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
  • Storage 1: Seagate 600 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD
  • Storage 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal HD
  • Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
  • Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you going for Mid Tower or Full Tower? If you're going for Full Tower then CM Storm Trooper will be good or CM Storm Stryker, its the same thing except colours are different. For Mid Tower the I like the Define R4 or you could go with the NZXT Phantom 410 but the power button and everything else is at the top of the case not sure if that's awkward placng or not :P Corsair cases are also great.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, Rajid! I looked at them, and I really liked the reviews for the Fractal Design Define R4 and $75 from NewEgg seems like a good deal.

Mainly I made this thread cause my various family members have their loyalties to certain brand names, and I just wanted fresh suggestions. ;)

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

As mentioned, the R4 is a great case - I'm currently using it and loving it. It's also hard to go wrong with Corsair cases, though they're also known for having middling stock cooling solutions. Very easy to build in though - I just built in a 650D yesterday and it was great.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Fractal Design Define r4! I have that case and it rules.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

A possible competitor for the Fractal Design R4, would be Nanoxia Deep Silence series. Comments/links to reviews: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6859/nanoxia-deep-silence-cases-officially-available-stateside

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube