add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI Win7 Start Tool Issues

DPRutledge
  • 43 months ago

Hey all!

I have already posted a similar thread on MSI's support forum, and hope to hear back before too long, but I wanted to post here as well in case someone knew what the issue I am having is.

I am going to be purchasing an MSI Mortar Arctic for my first build, and read up on the Windows 7 installation. My buddy has a spare copy of Windows 7 that he has graciously given to me, along with the key sitting on my home computer. My issue is the ISO is sitting on the desktop, but when I boot up the Win7 Smart Tool, the ISO itself does not appear on the Desktop folder as selectable. When I click on Desktop, then select OK to choose that folder, it tells me: "Invalid Media Please Select the Windows Installation File".

I'm honestly not certain at what to do. My USB drive is ready and cleared, and the ISO is clearly there to be installed. But when I select the step 1, it doesn't show as selectable in the list.

Any help would be appreciated for the newbie here! Thanks!

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Try using Rufus instead of the Win7 Smart Tool. It essentially does the same thing (makes a bootable USB).

If that doesn't work re-download the ISO file from Microsoft and try again.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

According to MSI, their Win7 Smart Tool is necessary. It's not about making a bootable USB. It's got something to do with the interaction between the install and their internal chipset.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It shouldn't matter. It's just MSI wanting you to use their own software rather than anyone else's.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I was looking through our archives and found someone having an issue with a normal bootable USB, but it was resolved using the Win7 Smart Tool.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/124673-cant-install-windows-from-bootable-usb-with-my-chipset-does-that-sound-right

However, I am running into an error when even trying to get the ISO selectable as the source for this tool.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm, try downloading the ISO image again (if you haven't already done that).

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It's from a buddy's flash drive. I'll have to wait to copy and paste it from his flash drive until after work.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

...My issue is the ISO is sitting on the desktop, but when I boot up the Win7 Smart Tool, the ISO itself does not appear on the Desktop folder as selectable.

The utility was designed to read off a standard Windows 7 disc. The utility is expecting the system's optical drive to automatically open/explore the disc's contents for the utility.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

According to what I see based on MSI's MOBOs, I actually need to write the Win7 installation to a USB using their Win7 Smart Tool. The usual process doesn't work based on the chipsets on the motherboards, if I understood the manuals correctly.

I know the process you are telling me about is how it's normally done, but the MSI motherboards like to be difficult -_-

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

All I know is that the manual said for MSI motherboards that the chipset does not work with installation with Windows 7, and that the OS has to be put onto a flash drive using their Win7 Smart Tool.

They have remarkably little else involving that tool as far as troubleshooting is concerned.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, the computer is not built yet, thankfully. I am trying to get the USB ready ahead of time before I order the board. That way, I can still get another board from another manufacturer in case this ends up being too much of a pain.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube