add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My soon to be built by the end of this week build. (Editing/Gaming Build)

PCDanbo

38 months ago

THis is the Editing/ Gaming PC

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $293.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $102.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $84.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB 6GT OC Video Card $249.00 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $94.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1005.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-24 15:20 EDT-0400

I have bought half of these parts so far. The i7-6700 (non-K), CX300 275 gb, 16 gb of ram from Crucial (They had a sale and I got it for around 65 instead of 80), and the Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 Motherboard.

Some questions:

1) I thought this build was great until I heard about the i7-6700k. Some say it would be totally worth the cash, while others say you don't need it if you never want to overclock. I am a cautious guy so, I am not willing to overclock especially if this is my first pc build that I want to last for years to come.

2) Should I exchange the motherboard for a Z170? I know that you could get higher speed ram.

3) What good 2tb hard drive would you recommend? I see that Western Digital sells 2tb 5400 RPM hard drives for about 70 dollars but its RPM is only 5400. Would that be good since I will be doing a lot of editing and animation in the near future.

My budget is around 100-1075. I m not willing to go over 1200 since I have to buy some other peripherals.

Remember I will be doing a lot of editing but no overclocking on gpu nor the cpu.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

If you feel cautious about over clocking then there is no reason to buy a 6700k.

A Z170 board is only good for over clocking and it may support higher ram speeds but higher ram speeds doesn't increase performance all that much. If there is one that you like because it looks cool or has a cool feature then why not.

If editing and animation is something you want to do then the faster the better, if you dont have pools of money then 7200rpm HDDs are worth it especially when you filter by Price/GB. SSDs are reccomend but they do cost a lot more.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh okay, Would seagate 2 tb 7200RPM be a good choice? The Western Digital 2tb black 7200RPM cost about 130 dollars....

How do you think of the build?

;-) Thanks for the help

Oh and are there any suggestions you have for this build? I am building and getting the rest of the parts this weekend.

+1 for you my friend

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Your build is fine and it will kick *** when its built ;)

WD Black really arnt worth it as they only give a tiny performance boost for the amount you pay for them.

Seagate 2TB is fine but if you want to spends $30 more then you can get a 3TB for Toshiba, Hitachi, WD etc

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have any tips, please share them out. My first pc build is at stake.

(Remember those days with AMD coolers; there were so many "Oh no, I poked a hole through my motherboard"

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

1) Overclocking will make your cpu last longer, in the sense that it will be relevant longer as more cpu intensive software is released, however, if you don't want to do any overclocking then don't bother.

2) Only if you plan on overclocking. RAM speed really doesn't make a noticeable difference for 90% of things.

3) These are pretty good 2tb hdds: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2RPfrH/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-0f10311

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

How is this one:

Toshiba 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive DT01ACA200 - Bare Drive

Or the Seagate 2tb 7200RPM one?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

They're good, but I don't think they're worth the extra money.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm okay. ;-)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought almost the exact setup as you just this past weekend. Trust me, once you have it built and running, you'll be in awe how fast and beautiful it runs. One thing I would consider is purchasing a decent cooler, even if you don't plan on overclocking. You can get one for under $30 easily and it'll do just fine. As for the HDD, I would go for Seagate considering the price point. Think about getting a second 1TB later on for backing up your important data.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Would the Evo 212 Universal be a good choice?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, it's pretty much the "goto" CPU cooler these days. Just make sure it can fit in your case. Most likely it will though.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

At my area, the 650 is priced the exact same as the 550. I have no idea why but It seems to me that the 650 would be a good deal.....

Is that a good idea?

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

No I prefer to get a

lamborghini ;-)

if it was priced the same. (One day, one day)

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It is the G2

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What would you recommend for a 2tb 7200 RPM Hard drive. I will be using it for putting animation/recording files.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there any other you would recommend?

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

:-)

+1 mate.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube