add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help on 120GB Server RAM selection

ampopp04

38 months ago

Hi, I have the following components http://pcpartpicker.com/list/csL98K and I need help selecting inexpensive server ram. I am looking to buy 120 GB worth of ram. I figure I will fill 16 slots with 16 8GB ram sticks.

I'd like to do this for less than $400 by buying used ram. I was looking at buying http://www.ebay.com/itm/Server-RAM-64GB-8x-8GB-PC3-10600R-ECC-Registered-DDR3-1333-1-5v-RDIMM-Memory-LOT-/302112447282?hash=item46574e1b32:g:Op4AAOSwLF1X4FEC even though it looks a little sketchy.

Any links on some good compatible ram lots would be appreciated!

Server Mobo Ram Specifications:

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 1.5 TB Memory Types DDR3 ECC UDIMM 1333/1600, RDIMM 1066/1333/1600/1866, LRDIMM 1333/1600/1866 Max # of Memory Channels 16 Max Memory Bandwidth 204.8 GB/s Physical Address Extensions 46-bit Max # of DIMMs 48 ECC Memory Supported ‡ Yes

The CPUs were given to me as a gift if anyone is wondering. I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, those RAM modules seem OK to me.

I think this filter will list you compatible RAMs of all size.

If you have items at your disposal (a.k.a. you will not buy they, you have them already), you can mark them as purchased to prevent confusion with be acquired items.

What is your plan with this server?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a highly multi-threaded java application that I wrote that needs to crunch a lot of numbers in parallel. Im going to basically run the entire application and database in memory across all the cores. It's for personal use so redundancy isn't majorly critical. I plan to backup the DB nightly to a small SAN...

With the ram, how big of a difference will 1333 mzh be compared to say 1866? If you look at this picture of my mobo is it ok and ideal to simply fill up all the blue ram slots? I planned on buying 16 and filling up only the blue slots. I'm not super familiar with ram channel optimization

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

No one can tell you exactly how faster things will be from switching memory from 1333 Mhz to 1866. It really depends on the application. (Hey, you wrote it. :P) It depends on how much the application would benefit from memory accessed quicker. I would say, get the faster RAM if the price is not substantial (e.g. 5 %- 10% higher), if having the job done sooner benefits your workflow.

As for the placing of the RAMs, I would say, consult the manual of the motherboard (if you can find it). Otherwise in general, the same color of DIMMs should be populated first (just as you thought).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube