add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
mikeadamwood

37 months ago

Hi!

I've been on mac for a few years so I've been out of the loop. This site is awesome for drafting builds. So my macs died and I've been looking into a PC after using a painfully slow eGPU for Octane render c4D. I'm going all out for a 4x GPU build...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/n9qYXH

Please ignore the total as the graphics cards are not coming up with price so I will grab them of NewEgg or something. Advice on the build is more than welcome but I also have a few questions;

Where will I mount the 4 Hybrid GPU fans in this case? What is the best positioning?

If I went for the 1070s I would be losing 400 cuda cores, but are they better cards?

Do I really need a case this large? Could you recommend a slightly smaller case that will do the job? Worried about desk height.

Do I need to purchase any additional fans?

Any tools, thermal pastes or extras I need to build this beast?

I can't wait to get stuck in, but trying to acquire every bit of advice I can to better prepare myself for this. The guys at the Octane forums don't seem to want to help so I have a lot more hope here.

Thanks!

Comments

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the response and putting this list together!

I was going to go for Hybrids as Octane has a tendency to heat graphics cards, the MSI doesn't have any cooling? Do you not think this is needed then? I will be rendering for long periods of time so need nicely cooled GPU's.

I've also looked at that case before but it seems bit small for a full, maybe its a different one.

Again thanks for the help! Mike.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube