add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
maf1017

38 months ago

Hello,

I am looking to build a HTPC that will be used in the living room. My budget is £300.

I can't decide whether an i3-6300 with no GPU or G4400 with a 750Ti/950 would be better (would buy the GPU 2nd hand). I'm also struggling to find a case small enough whilst sticking to my budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor £92.91 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI H110I Pro Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard £64.44 @ Amazon UK
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £32.59 @ Amazon UK
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £35.63 @ Amazon UK
Case Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case £38.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Power Supply Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply £45.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £310.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-25 08:54 BST+0100

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you going to use it for? Watching movies, listening to music, surfing the web? The iGPU is perfectly fine, you don't need a dedicated graphics card.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It's for my girlfriend, so yes all of those thing's. I doubt she would want to game. Thanks for the help.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, she can even play games with the integrated graphics, but nothing too demanding AAA type games.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay cool. Do you think it's worth getting a micro-atx case? I am very limited with my budget and wasn't sure the Silverstone case and PSU were good/suitable enough.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The Mini ITX case (the current one) is smaller than the Micro-ATX. Since you probably don't want to upgrade it much, you can go with this. Ladies know that it's not the size that matters. ;)

This case has 4 x 2.5" drive bays if you need to add more storage later on. A slim optical drive would fit on top of these too. I think this is a good case.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I will stick with this then. Thank you for all of your help! Much appreciated.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If she won't do many things, she should be OK with the Pentium G4400 on its own. If you want to save some money, that is.

The i3 will allow multiple applications to run smoother at the same time (e.g. running a video chat while watching a movie, downloading the next movie in the background, etc)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube