add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st Custom PC Build | Final opinions needed

WillDay

37 months ago

I have created 2/3 topics previous and from further research and the help provided i think i have finally managed to get a pc build that i can both upgrade and change about.

The Build and The Goal

The Situation: My money situation is tight due to buying a motorcycle and have about £650 to spend on a PC. My younger brother is also looking for a gaming PC but has nowhere near enough money to buy a decent one so i am looking to buy the build above and when i get my pay, upgrade the parts and give the old parts to my brother.

The Upgrades: (as listed in the Goal build) When i have enough money i am looking to upgrade the CPU to the i5 6600k (and give the i3 to my brother) I am also looking at more changing the RAM to a red/black variant and go to 16gb (giving my brother the old RAM) I am also looking at getting a radiator for when i get the i5 SSD and HDD (Giveing my brother the old RAM) *I currently have a 500w power supply but going to a 750/800w for crossfire.

Any Final opinions appreciated and any feedback will help

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm UK also so am familiar with pricings here.

Firstly, the 'Build' is a good budget gaming PC. The RX480 is a 1080p killer able to max out all current games from benchmarks and reviews I've read. Although you didn't mention it, I assume you're aiming at 1080p gaming based on reviewing your old threads.

You mention you have £650 to spend on a PC and your brother doesn't have enough money to buy a decent one, what's his budget?

Also, if your going to upgrade when you get your pay, when is that exactly and how much would your £650 budget increase to after that?

Just thinking it might be worth waiting until you get the pay and combining your money to buy a PC once for you and then if you are being a great big brother in helping your younger brother out, helping him get a budget gaming PC.

Do you have monitors already? Both 1080p? Freesync? Gsync? The more information and answers to the above and a budget and I am sure the community, or me, could help you spec out two PCs so you can both game.

My initial thoughts on those two builds are:

• A single Geforce GTX 1070 would trump two RX480's in SLI at a similar price, it also runs cooler and uses a hell of a lot less energy allowing you to save money on a smaller PSU, it would do you for 5 years at 1080p in my opinion.
  • What model is that 500W PSU you have? Is it modular in any way?
  • Your 'Goal' rig has a 6600k, a great CPU for gaming, but your motherboard won't allow you to overclock it. Do you plan on overclocking? Not saying you have to, you might want the K because it has a higher clock speed than the non-K.
  • Your 'Goal' rig used two power hungry cards that would throw out a lot of heat, combined with your CPU cooler which would need to be front mounted in that case you will not have much airflow. If you do want to stick to Radeons I would suggest the NZXT H440 in red/black as you could then mount your 240mm radiator in the top and have intake fans at the front to pass air over the GPU's.

Here is a list based on using a Z170 Motherboard to allow you to overclock the CPU, a cheaper CPU cooler, the same case, and a GTX 1070.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xb9tWX

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the response. Yes, My brother and I are going for 1080p gaming, I currently have 2 1080p monitors and am planning on giving him one until i can afford a better one, probably a 144hz. My budget for the build can go upto ~£1000 but i dont mind going over. As far as my brother budget goes i think its only around £300 which he will get from saving up and money for his birthday. That will most likely go to a gpu. and the other parts (since i am looking to keep the rx 480 for myself.) Im not too sure what brand it is and if it is modular of what but it came with my stock pc i got. I know the 1070 will be a good card and a friend of mine recently bought one and has nothing but good things to say about it, however, from what i have heard is that getting the rx 480 will future proof my pc and from benchmarks i've seen the crossfire rx 480s beat the 1070 in a decent amount of games and comes in at the same price. I will be looking to overclock it and now i know that the motherboard wont allow the overclock i guess the motherboard is another thing off his part list. If you need anymore info i will be happy to provide it. i hope i covered everything.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I looked into the benchmarks and you are right, two RX 480's in crossfire do beat a 1070, the only issues that are highlighted in these comparisons are the following:

• Stuttering when using Crossfire as frames can go out of sync as each card takes turns to render a frame, this can leave high FPS but a stuttery experience.
  • Not supported in all games, including some of the AAA games.
  • The power draw is significantly greater, the build I gave with GTX 1070 has estimated power draw of 367W, whereas two RX 480's in SLI draw an estimated 667W. That's an extra 300W for slightly increase performance in 'most' games.
  • It requires a beefier power supply which for safety I would recommend being the 850W EVGA G2 Supernova (10 year warranty) as you're considering an overclock and might need the extra power draw, plus you don't want to run your PSU at 100% so best to have headroom for peak efficiency.
  • The extra PSU cost is £45.
  • For 1080p gaming it is arguable that Crossfire RX 480's (or a GTX 1070) is overkill, but not if your goal is 144Hz 1080p.

Positives are:

• Two RX480 same price as GTX 1070.
  • Freesync monitors are cheaper than Gsync monitors, significantly cheaper.
  • They outperform a GTX 1070.

Possible alternatives: Get 1 RX 480 and save your money, when it comes time to afford the 144Hz monitor, there might be a new GPU available that can drive it or alternatively get a second RX 480. If you can't get the same model you can always buy two new ones and give the old one to your brother for the price of one of the two you just bought.

2 RX480's are overkill for 1080p 60Hz gaming, 1 will max out almost all games at ultra settings for 1080p and achieve 60+ FPS.

I can't spec a build for your brother on £300. I'll spec a few builds in a red/black theme with different options.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure if you have Windows 10 so I have included it, total cost £1,040. This is a red and black themed build.

Interestingly there seems to be a big difference in power draw between XFX and the Sapphire cards, Sapphire card we originally had has a blue 'Sapphire' logo facing out which would really throw off your colour scheme.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £220.00 @ Novatech
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £84.95 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard *MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £108.51 @ Amazon UK
Memory *G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £69.98 @ Novatech
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £57.90 @ Amazon UK
Storage *Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £41.99 @ Novatech
Video Card *XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB RS Video Card £199.98 @ Ebuyer
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case £66.94 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £104.99 @ Novatech
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit £84.98 @ Novatech
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1040.22
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 14:39 BST+0100

Future upgrade path, its an overkill PSU so you can get another RX480 and go Crossfire down the line.

That PSU is the one I have in my rig and is very highly rated by JonnyGuru.com with an almost perfect 9.5/10 and comes with a 10 year warranty. Never skimp on your PSU when you're spending so much on the other components.

Two DIMMS free to add two more and go 32GB if the need arises which it probably won't for the next 4 years. If you have hard disk drives in your old computer I'd transfer them to this, build, combine the costs of those two storage drives I specced and buy a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo as that's very highly rated with a 5 year warranty.

My build for your brother, doesn't include cost of Windows 10 and comes in at £484.

Again, I haven't skimped on the PSU as it's something you never should, additionally his is micro-ATX with an assumption of no overclock because he won't be able to afford it. Finally, the fully modular PSU I've selected for an extra £30 over a 450W non-fully modular I'd otherwise recommend is better for his build as only cables being used are in the case, it has a longer warranty, and can be used when he upgrades going forward (like if he ever gets your RX480).

If he was looking to put this together, or if you help him with his budget, it's £30 to step up to the RX470 which stomps over the GTX 1050 Ti and can in future be paired with Freesync monitor, and £53 to step up to an RX480 which would allow gaming at ultra settings @ 1080p 60Hz

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor £92.91 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard *Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £59.44 @ CCL Computers
Memory *Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £32.98 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £45.48 @ Amazon UK
Video Card *MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card £146.48 @ Scan.co.uk
Case Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case £29.99 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £76.74 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £484.02
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 14:53 BST+0100
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

This video just got released and talks about crossfire and Ali. Good old Linus https://youtu.be/r3FbLjbXV1o

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help but i would really like to stick with the red and black build if possible. Thanks for the feedback and i will look into the motherboards.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube