add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to connect 3-pin fans to PSU

LemonComputers

37 months ago

What connector do you use to connect a regular, non PWM 3-pin fan to any ATX PSU?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

usually a 3-pin to molex adapter. some psu's have dedicated fan connectors on them like Be Quiet.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Where can I purchase a 3-pin to Molex adapter?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I want something with nice aesthetics and preferably yellow.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

You could go with something like this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14663/ele-989/4-Pin_Power_Distribution_PCB_3xWay_Block_MMT-PCB-4-33.html?tl=g47c121s424

Add some yellow plastidip or something.

If you have a 5.25" you could go with a fan controller.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair 380T I'm using does not have an external 5.25 bay, and the Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix WIFI board I'm using only has two fans, and I'm using four fans, so the two remaining fans will need to be connected directly to the PSU.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Not sure if you are up to it but you could always sleeve the cable your sleeve with black sleeving and some yellow heatshrink if you can find some the right size. I think that would look pretty good. Sleeving it shouldn't be too hard and all you would need tool wise is something to pop the pins out with and then some sleeving and some heat shrink.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It will be hidden in the PSU compartment?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Also does the EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS have the dedicated 3-pin fan connectors?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Why not connect to motherboard? If you run it off the PSU it will be spinning max speed and will be loud.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I am using four total fans in a Corsair 380T yellow, and the Gigabyte B150N Phoenix WIFI board I'm using has two PWM headers, so I will still have two non-PWM fans that will need to be connected directly to the PSU, so the non-PWM ones I picked were quieter than if I could PWM, because if I picked louder, non-PWM, then it would be too loud continuously.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

best option for itx is to buy a pwm fan hub. you can find a bunch of them on amazon.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I've decided to use two Y splitters.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You could still use mobo fan header btw I think.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The system proposed uses four total yellow fans in a Corsair 380T case, and I am using a Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix WIFI with two PWM headers, but since I'm using four fans total, I will need to connect two of the remaining fans directly to the PSU.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Splitters for fan headers are also available.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

OK. Do you have a recommendation?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, just hit google :D

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There might be an adapter that came with the fans in your case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube