add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC Build: KT Pretty Flower (Tentative)

Ktmvp

38 months ago

Edit: link to my parts list-http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4MfnGf Please feel free to give suggestions/critiques Hey guys, I'm new to the PC building process, and this rig is what I'm looking to produce. I was wondering if the composition would be overkill for my everyday pc activities such as playing league of legends and school related work. I am transferring from my mac to pursue a better and smoother gaming experience, as well as acquiring the ability to open more than 2 apps at one time.

Budget: $1.4k My tentative parts list: The MSI Z170A SLI seems like a great mamaboard for its relative cheapness, and compatibility with my build.

I found the intel core-i5 6500 was a well rounded and well priced cpu, and I believe it is sufficient for my simple needs.

I tentatively plan to purchase the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GPU mainly because of the decent $220 price. The 1060 seems like a solid performer, and it's made by MSI to credit it further. Looking at performance records the 1060 only performs a little better than the 980, which makes me think I'm not getting the bang for the buck I'm looking for. My alternative is to get the more expensive 1070, which I believe can handle more contemporary high end games, and future games to come.

I went with 1TB HDD and 250GB SSD because that combination would facilitate the game I play now, and potentially higher-end games in the future. I chose the Caviar blue and Samsung EVO-series based off of popularity and reviews.

I went with 2x4gb ram because I was working with 4gb during my mac experience, and my memory was not an issue.

I'm going with a 500w PCU because this website said my build with the 1060 would only require 300w. The extra 200w is a safety net I suppose because I've come across many comments saying all gaming pc's should have at least 400w, and that 500w is a sweet spot for most purposes.

I'm also looking for a reasonably priced 144hz. monitor for the setup, but I don't know much about monitors. I'm looking for a black or black/purple monitor with an installed camera (if possible).

I really liked the sleek black design of the Corsair Carbide 400c, it may be too roomy for my build, but hey it looks nice. I plan to accessorize the case with flower pc case skins. Are there any custom pc case skin websites out there? Or any site that has flower skins/stickers ?

Do I need any case fans for this build? I don't plan to overclock anytime soon so there won't be additional stress on the pc.

Finding the parts was really fun, and I'm sure the actual build will be a blast. Thanks for reading and helping me out with my build. I want to buy the parts during black friday/cyber monday where the prices will hopefully go down. Hopefully I can afford a badass monitor with some kickass peripherals.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

It's better if you put a link here to your build.

I guess, this is it.

I would make some changes:

• no need for the aftermarket CPU cooler
  • similarly performing, yet much cheaper SSD
  • GTX 1070, as the GTX 1060 wouldn't be able to produce 144 fps in games on 1080p. Alternatively, go with 1080p 60 Hz display
  • if you want SLI, get a 650 - 750 W PSU right now

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $195.79 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $97.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $40.88 @ NCIX US
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card *Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card $379.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case $97.49 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $42.79 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1060.07
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-26 06:08 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I was wondering why I wouldn't need a cpu cooler, and if i should get some fans for my build? If so which coolers/fans do you think would facilitate my build?

Do you have any specific SSD you would recommend?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

why I wouldn't need a cpu cooler

Because you already have one. :) Intel ships their own CPU cooler with most of their CPUs (usually the locked /non-K/ ones). That's perfectly fine.

if i should get some [case] fans

Nah, your build would not produce an excessive amount of heat. The fans shipped with the case should be good enough. Would you need more (I doubt it), you can always buy some later on. ;)

Do you have any specific SSD you would recommend?

I've suggested the Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" in the build I proposed. What I really do is set the filter for storage to show SSDs only and order them based on capacity/price and check the best ones. If they cost too much for your budget, find a cheaper one. Also, when you find something that matches your capacity need and price range, google the product and read the specification. The speeds should be around 500 Mbps when it comes to reading and writing. If it is below 400 Mbps, they are slower than average, get a different SSD.

What you picked (Samsung) is pretty good, but overpriced. Many manufacturers produce similar SSDs (ok, 5% - 10% slower but considerably cheaper).

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you sooo much! I appreciate your help c: I'll definitely use your advice.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a bit more but is well under your $1,400 budget, I swapped a few things including to a less expensive but still very good case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $236.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $40.88 @ NCIX US
Storage OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ B&H
Video Card *Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card $379.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.69 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1170.19
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $1145.19
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-26 13:35 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for your input! The SSD looks great and the price is good too. Thanks for suggesting the case, it has great aesthetic and a great price as well. i really appreciate your help!

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

No problem, the best way I've found to find an interesting case is to change the default to list then you can see pictures of each case: http://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/overall-list/# then just select your criteria like ATX mobo form factor or 5.25 drive bays if you want them. The most popular ones are from Fractal design, NZXT, Phanteks and Corsair as they tend to make a range of cases in the affordable range.

Just depends on what you are looking for. Many people want small form factor cases now so ITX builds are popular or M-ATX if you need a PCIE slot for a wireless card or SSD. Some want custom water cooling and SLI so a larger case is needed.

I prefer large cube cases so I never have to worry about something not fitting in the future.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

In addition to the windows 10 os are there anymore downloadable items i should purchase? e.g. virus protection or update managers, and etc.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Malware protection and antivirus, I use Avast! and Malwarebytes but you can find other suggestions in the software forum.

I also us NZXTs CAM software which monitors CPU and GPU temperature and load among other things. It also is needed if you use any of their products like the Grid V2+ (fan controller), Hue (LED lighting strips and controller) or any of their AIO coolers.

Cam can be used just for monitoring.

Some people like to use AIDA64 and Unigine Valley and others to stress test a system or get benchmarks. I personally prefer to just monitor load and temperature while gaming and doing my regular tasks as that gives me an accurate value for what I am using my pc for.

Although there is something to be said that if your PC is staying cool under these extreme tests that it will be more than OK under regular use.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice! It helps so much c:

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube