add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this a good first PC for a 14-year old?

jedi5200

37 months ago

I'm 14 and I want to build my first PC. I will supply part list, and i'm not a gamer and would like to keep the price down. Suggestions?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

This build will have cheaper and better performance. Your PSU seems sketchy at that price so I swapped it for an EVGA 500W Bronze, and even 500W is overkill for you needs. As you said you aren't doing gaming, I left out a video card. Also, you don't seem to be planning on overclocking so I went with the most recent Skylake generation as opposed to the old Haswell generation. The i5-6500 has better performance overall than the processor you selected. For an i5-6500 locked processor, the stock cooler from Intel that comes with it will be perfectly fine. If you wanted to you could add an air cooler I suppose like the Hyper 212 EVO or a Cryorig H7. A liquid cooler would be extreme overkill and not worth it. Since sometimes there are issues between different RAM sets, I just went with a 2x8 kit. I kept your SSD and added a 1TB HDD too for more long term storage. I kept the case, fans, and peripherals you wanted.

Also, keep in mind, you will need to purchase a Windows key if you haven't already to use it. Put it on the SSD, as well as any main files- anything that you don't really need but don't want to delete (like a lot of music storage, for example) can go on your HDD instead so you're not taking up your fast-access space. The motherboard is a Z170 series, so in the future if you want to upgrade to an overclockable processor and a CPU cooler like an i7-6700K when you have more money you could and overclock it. However, if you go for a K-series processor, you will need a CPU cooler. This build will last many years though for your purposes without upgrading. (16GB of RAM is overkill, 8GB would be fine, but if you want to keep the 16 for future purposes then that's perfectly fine.

I'm in the same age range, so I'm glad there are more of us on here than just me!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $91.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $89.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $87.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $42.79 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan $7.89 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard $26.99 @ SuperBiiz
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T.1 Wired Optical Mouse $29.97 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers $36.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $764.69
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $744.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 12:11 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

True True, but what about the graphics cards if he's going to play games he needs a decent graphics card right?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

He specifically said he's not a gamer.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4570S 2.9GHz Quad-Core Processor $196.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Deepcool CAPTAIN 120 EX 76.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $68.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $118.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 700W ATX Power Supply $32.99 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $807.48
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $757.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 12:01 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU is old, CPU cooler isnt the best option at all considering that price, ram can be cheaper, PSU can be alot better and reliable

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B150M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $61.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $73.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.97 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $676.38
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $656.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-28 06:36 EDT-0400

If you have any questions please ask me.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Here it is.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted".

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

In don't see a graphics card within the build add a graphics card

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

He is not gaming at all so the igpu is fine

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Dang! How do y'all know so much about this kind of thing? Mr. Maus, why skimp on the CPU and spend tons on the RAM? I think I'll keep the 16 GB of RAM. Just because i'm not currently a gamer doesn't mean I won't be. My friends are gamers and i'd love to play with them. I also love cybersecurity, and am a part of CyberPatriot, so I use VMware player and Cisco packet tracer a lot. Thanks for all the info! Keep it coming!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

and since I'm in cyberpatriot, I can get operating systems for free, so that wont be a problem

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

and the peripherals don't matter, neither does the monitor

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. What I would suggest doing is grabbing the build I suggested for now, and then when you decide you also want to game, you can just grab a GTX 1060 6GB or a 1050 Ti and put that in, change your display from the motherboard IO to the GPU, and you'll be good to go!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

so is there actually anything wrong about my list besides the power supply?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Just gonna throw my 2c in.

You need to stop and think. You need to decide what it is you want this PC to do.

"What is it I want this computer to do?"

I'm a big believer in designing a pc around a specific use. If you aren't planning to game with this build there is a lot of overkill in your list:

CPU - Spend the bucks and go for the I5 6500. It can't be overclocked but should give you performance until you are 18.

CPU cooler - if you aren't overclocking you shouldn't need liquid cooling. Look for something which will keep your processor below 65C.

Motherboard - Look for something which gives the LM1151 pinout (to match the CPU). You don't need a 'Z' board if you aren't overclocking. Stick with the 'H' (don't go 'B').

RAM - You won't need more than 8Gig if you aren't gaming. 1866 is a good speed. DDR4 (3200 if you are willing to pay).

Storage - What are you saving? A 120G SSD will allow you to save your operating system with some extra space for frequently used programs. Put everything else onto a HDD. 2TB is cheap these days, 'specially the 3.5" type.

PSU - If you want to spend $$$, spend it here. Always aim to have your max psu usage at 80% of rated. This ensures you will always have sufficient power without causing stress on the psu. Remember - the psu is the heart of your build. 700W in this case is overkill. You should be able to get away with anything between 350 - 500W. The main consumer of power is the GPU. You have said it won't have one.

Case - Decide whether you want +ve (more air in than out = less dust, less thermal control) or -ve (more out than in = better thermal control, dust buildup) pressure. Appearance is subjective so I will leave that up to you.

There is 'nice to have' and there is 'need to have'.

Good luck, and enjoy the satisfaction of your first build. Don't rush it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

No, but I would still go with the i5-6500 and stuff because it's a newer generation and the boards will also be compatible with the next generation of Intel processors.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

why is my motherboard not in any of your builds? is it just too extravagent?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

what would be a good cpu cooler, and which motherboard? Make up your mind!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

why a bronze instead of gold PSU?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

how is the SSD I chose, and which HDD should I get?

• 37 months ago
  • 0 points

But here is my version of your build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/byrwqk

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

He doesn't need a graphics card. He won't be gaming. Also, that power supply seems EXTREMELY sketchy and reviews of it say it WILL damage your system. Not CAN, but WILL. 32GB of RAM is absolutely ridiculous and there's no reason for it unless he's doing some extreme 1440p/4K video editing, in which case you would want an i5-6600K or an i7-6700K instead of an i3-6100.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok but would that be too much overkill because I don't know what he will be using his PC for.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

"i'm not a gamer and would like to keep the price down" -From the OP. He's 14, so he definitely isn't doing high end video editing, and if he was, he would have a higher price range. Plus, the GTX 1060 isn't needed because he isn't gaming. The iGPU will be perfectly fine. The i5-6500 is just a better all-around processor choice then for now, and you barley need 32GB of RAM if you ARE 4K video editing. 16GB is even overkill. 8GB would be perfectly fine. I just left it at 16GB because of future's sake. Also, that power supply literally will catch on fire. All reviews of it say it does and that's the reason it's so cheap- it's made with bad quality parts that are dangerous.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

sorry didn't see that

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It's fine.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That PSU WILL cause damage to the build. OP do not even think about using it. That AIO is overpriced and isn't needed. Why in the hell 32GB of RAM? Why a dedicated GPU? That SSD is bad.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube