add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me finish a 500-600 gaming build

Dougyfresh88

38 months ago

I've started picking up parts for the first pc I've built in about 8 years. Primarily for gaming, nothing too fancy bust trying to get the best bang for my buck. I've grabbed a couple parts on sale this week and can wait through cyber Monday to pick up more if needed, but not sure what I should be looking for. Here's is what I have so far

PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dz3s8K) / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card $165.00
Case Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $274.98
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $259.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 13:26 EDT-0400

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You did brilliantly to get the RX 480 for $165 if that's what you got it for. I assume you have the PSU as well? Do you need Windows?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $110.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard *Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $91.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $44.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card $165.00
Case Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $627.31
Mail-in rebates -$45.00
Total $582.31
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 13:32 EDT-0400
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, newegg had a nice sale on the 480 a few days back that I jumped on, rebate and 25$ off when using masterpass. I do have a hard drive from my old pc so I can maybe pull that to put money towards going up to an i5? I will need to get windows too but I might try to get it as Christmas gift....

I was eyeballing that mobo you listed, looks like newegg has it for pretty cheap today. Am I correct in understanding that I'd need a k type processor to overclock with that mobo?

Thanks for talking through some of this with me, I like building my own pcs but I've been out of the loop for so many years that I feel pretty overwhelmed

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes you would need a K processor to overclock. It's not necessary to do overclocking though and you could step down to a H170. Or stick with the z170 to allow you to upgrade to a processor that can be overclocked down the road. If you downgrade to a h170 and that saves you money and you have a hard drive then I'd use that money to either windows or to put to an SSD for your windows installation and your favourite games and applications.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

OK so while I'm not 100% on which could I'll get still, it seems like the z170 boards will future proof it. I'm comparing these two now

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813130892

https://m.newegg.com/Product?ItemNumber=13-132-691

From what I can see the Asus board is a bit more expensive but also supports SLI and faster ram. The msi board has more USB 3.1. I don't know if it matters that my gpu is also msi. I'm comfortable dropping the 10$ more if it's much better board, but I assumed the a board would be better than ever. Not sure if that's true with different manufacturers though

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd get the Asus one. It has a better bios and PCIE m.2. Asus also have good fan controls

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube