add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Quesadillah

37 months ago

Since I just back from finishing all my training from the military and got a decent job now, I could finally build a gaming PC and put my old HP Pavilion DV7 laptop into retirement haha. I was looking to spend around $600-$1000 at the most which is fairly common for a normal build. This build should be around $700 or $800 for the PC itself, minus peripherals, extra accessories, and etc because I already have em. I kinda wanted a black & white theme if possible, if not then well.. whatever its all good lol. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to share your opinions and give any tips or possible changes I could do. I don't really know a whole lot about building a PC, so yeah.. this'll be interesting haha. Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $91.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $44.18 @ NCIX US
Storage Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $63.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.33 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card $199.99 @ B&H
Case Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $36.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan $15.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $828.97
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $788.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 21:55 EDT-0400

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks pretty good, but do you plan on using the ODD for anything other than putting on the OS? If not, you could save some money by using a bootable drive. You could also save some money by dropping the third party cooler. Change your SSD as well to an A-Data 240GB. Upgrade that PSU to a Corsair CXM unit.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

So, I'm not sure what your intentions are for this build, but for the most part it looks just fine for a build at that price point. I have a very similar build myself. There are a few things that can be cleaned up though.

First off, with a non K CPU you don't need to buy a CPU cooler. It comes with a stock fan that is perfectly acceptable. So unless you really want to buy a fan for aesthetic reasons, you can either save 25$ there and pocket it, or reinvest it into the build.

As for your specific questions: The Asuz Z170-e is certainly a better board between the 2 options you linked. It supports faster/more ram, has better built in audio, more PCIe slots, USB 3.1c. Maybe some other things I didn't notice when looking at the specs page. I have the Z170-e myself, paired with a 6500 (Micro Center combo deal). And that's certainly a good price for it. However, you don't necessarily need a Z170 board with a non K CPU as you won't be overclocking it (the main reason to get a Z170 board). If you can find a H170/B150/H110 motherboard with the features you want for less $, it will work just fine. The Asus Z170-e will as well as I can attest to myself, and would allow you to have the option to upgrade your CPU to something you can overclock in the future. But if you have no plans to do so you can get away with saving a little bit more there.

As far as the power supply, I would say reinvest some of your $ there. I would expect to pay closer to 60$ or so there. The power supply is one of the things you really don't want to cheap out on. If it goes down, it can take other parts with it, and when you are spending 800~ on the whole build you want to minimize that risk. The EVGA Supernova G2/GS are both well reviewed, but certainly not the only option to handle the job. I don't have much in depth knowledge here. I would suggest looking up reviews before making your decision/purchase. Perhaps someone else will come along here and be more helpful.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube