add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking to upgrade, not sure if it's worth it.

leontech

37 months ago

Hi there everyone :) My name is Leon.

I'm a designer, and I use my PC mostly for work and gaming. I run software's like, Photoshop / Illustrator / After Effect / Sony Vegas and I also play some new games like BF4/1 FIFA17 etc. My pc runs good, and dose runs all that i wrote...

My reason I'm posting here is that I want to know if its worth upgrading my current setup so I can have a better PC than now. Nowadays my PC is ok and sometimes when I run multiply software's it gets a bit slow (sometimes freeze)

So my setup is this:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Build 7601 Antivirus Software: MSE Anti Virus Firewall: Windows Firewall Computer Type: Custom CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 Motherboard: GigaByte Z97-HD3 Ram: DDR/SDRAM 2x4 Storage: Western Digital 2TB Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 4096 MBytes of GDDR5 SDRAM [Samsung] Power Supply: HUNT-KEY APFC 700w

I would like to know if I will upgrade my CPU to Intel i7 and upgrade my GPU to GTX 1060 (or if I can attached another card to it, not sure if my current parts can do it) get also a SSD hardrive and boost my RAM to 16gb

It would be worth to upgrade? and If yes, could anyone help me choose the right parts? and walk me through it...

Thank you, Leon.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

What case do you have? Also, what brand and speed of memory?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi jgb, Thanks for the answer.

Case, not sure - because I don't know how to check. I think it's a normal size one, I can take a picture of it if you want

and the Memory is by: Crucial Technology I check it with HWiNFO32 software.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe your system is worth upgrading. How much depends on your budget which is unknown so I made you this part list the best I could with the information you provided. I still am not sure if the memory matches what you have but open the part list and look at the picture and tell me if your ram looks the same.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $303.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $44.98 @ Amazon
Storage Mushkin ECO3 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $104.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card $244.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $698.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-28 19:40 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, thanks for that.

About the budget I think I can get a better i7 if it's possible with my current setup. I would like to know more options... and about the SSD I think I might need a bigger one, because I have about 400gb installed and I will like to have C with SSD and the rest will be with my 2TB

and about the memory, can I get a G.Skill 2x8 maybe? or to add what you recommended ?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I changed to the best i7 CPU and added a CPU cooler. I can not be certain the cooler will fit your case. Upgraded the SSD to 750GB and changed the video card because the prices changed. The memory was changed as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $334.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Memory Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $74.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $169.98 @ Directron
Video Card PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Video Card $247.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $877.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-28 20:15 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube