add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A semi-custom watercooled build for under 4,000$

Judas_Mesias

37 months ago

I need advice on a build that I am planing. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rTYhjc

There are some addendum in this build due to the fact that some of the parts are not available in the parts list and the fact that it's going to be a semi-custom water-cooled build.

Addendum Parts: EK-XLC Predator 240 (for the motherboard and CPU) GPU: A pair of GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK X or ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 ArcticStorm in SLI (both will be cooled by another Predator 240 that I already have) Tubes, Res and Fittings even Pre-Mixed liquid will all come from EK.

Am asking if this build is doable with the budget that I have and what I need to add, remove and replace. Thanks.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Assuming MSRP on the Predator, your build less cooling hardware is about $3600. From what I've seen (I don't watercool), $400 isn't much to spend on the plumbing, particularly if it's all EK. Could be wrong. Easiest place to pick up some budget headroom is in that SSD. 2TB shouldn't be necessary, particularly with a 3TB mechanical on board. If you're looking for speed, a 1 TB MLC drive (that isn't an EVO) plus a small NVMe drive for SRT could be even faster for a bit less. Maybe; I haven't tried this yet.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah! I thought about that much since I rechecked EK's site and add up everything that I'll need. I'll have to fork up an additional 200$ to 300$ more just for the plumping alone (add another 600$ to that mix if I went for hard tubing which I won't). But will the MLC drive would be good enough to run AutoCAD (this will be a CAD/Gaming machine) ?

Thanks for the advice.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

From my understanding, CAD is all about floating point calculations, not disk access. You'll have to ask someone who knows more than I to find out for sure, though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube