add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU, Case and PSU opinions

Sunn1y

37 months ago

I've almost finalised all the parts for my build, but there are just three parts that I am slightly unsure about.

I've decided I'm definitely going to got a GTX 1060 Graphics Card, but I don't know if I should go for the MSI Gaming X or the ASUS STRIX. I know that they are both very good cards, and can both overclock up to very high speeds. I really like the look of both cards, but I am leaning toward the STRIX because of the customisable RGB lighting it offers. The ASUS card is $10 more.

With the Case, I'm deciding between the Corsair 200R and the Corsair Spec-02. Both of these cases are the same price. I know that the 200R offers a lot more expandability, but it Spec-02 seems to look nicer with the front grill design and the red LED lighting. I say seems because I haven't had the chance to see either of these cases in person, and I know that in real life parts can look very different, and usually far more spectacular than in photos and videos.

With the PSU, I went for the Corsair CS550M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply. I was looking around for a 500W 80+ Bronze or Silver rated PSU so I could save a little money, but none of the ones I found were modular. Does a PSU being semi-modular make a big difference when it comes to building the PC, for managing cables?

Here is my part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/8YftWX

I plan to buy my parts from PC Case Gear, who have very good reviews regarding delivery times, warranty claims and returns, although they can be slightly more expensive for some parts. Here is the wishlist that I made on their website. https://www.pccasegear.com/wish_lists/642643/All%20parts%20I%20plan%20to%20buy

Any opinions are welcome, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I'm Australian which is why I've spelled some words with an s rather then a z, I know that's going to make some of you squirm :)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey man, I'm also Australian! You should check out msy.com.au their parts prices are usually a bit cheaper and are very reputable

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet, didn't think I'd find another aussie on here!

I actually bought my monitor from MSY, as there is actually a store not too far from where I live so I bought it in stroe. The monitor is a very nice one, and I didn't have any problems with it. However, a lot of people have complained that when they receive a faulty part, MSY can be very hard to contact, and they often make very little effort to rectify the matter. I'll try putting in the same build into the MSY website, and if it does come out to be a lot cheaper, maybe I'll opt to buy from them instead.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

You're most welcome man. I actually didn't know that about msy so thanks for that information man. No worries

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I wouldn't spend so much on a GTX 1060 even because of RGB. You can get some lighting for the case for that purpose. That SSD is overpriced.

You should definitely get a better PSU as yours is not a good choice and also overpriced for what it is. I also selected a better motherboard which is slightly more expensive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $267.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $129.00 @ PCCaseGear
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $109.00 @ Centre Com
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $97.90 @ Skycomp Technology
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $64.00 @ Shopping Express
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card $355.00 @ Shopping Express
Case Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $85.00 @ CPL Online
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $85.00 @ CPL Online
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $19.00 @ CPL Online
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $45.00 @ PCCaseGear
Other Cooler Master Sickleflow X 120mm Fan $10.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1265.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 23:55 AEDT+1100
  • 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you so much for the reply!

I hadn't found that PSU, ill probably grab that one.

As for the other parts:

SSD It was actually a conscious decision I made to choose the Samsung 850 EVO SSD over the cheaper 750 EVO or another alternative, as the 850 showed better read speeds, and has much better ratings than the 750. I haven't looked into the Crucial SSDs much, as I assumed it would be much the same as the 750 EVO at that price point. If possible, would you be able to give some insight as to whether I would actually notice any difference between a faster SSD?

GPU As for the GPU, the $355 price you see for the card can only be found at that particular store, shopping express. Reading the reviews for this store, people have said they can be VERY shady, and usually those prices are found during "sales" that many people have found to be scams. However, maybe I am spending too much on a GPU, but the Gaming X and the STRIX have shown to give 5-10 more fps than the others. This may seem trivial, but the GTX 1070 card gives 20 - 30 FPS more than the 1060s, for $250 more. So in my opinion, that 5-10 fps increase for $60 (The Gigabyte card would cost 400 from a more trustworthy store) does seem worth it, especially when you get a much sturdier and nicer looking card.

I know that is a lot to read, but there's a lot to discuss with these. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to read my original post and pick out more suitable parts, I really appreciate it!

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I would actually notice any difference between a faster SSD?

For everyday stuff, no.. You would only notice if you're copying large amounts of data.

You could also get the EVGA SC which is clocked at 1.61.. (Asus at 1.62)

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/tJyxFT/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-sc-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-6163-kr

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

In that case, I'll definitely opt for the cheaper SSD.

Just curious, you said my power supply is not a good choice.. I see that it's over priced, but was there another reason besides price that made you say that the PSU isn't a good choice?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

you say that the PSU isn't a good choice?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=366

As for the newer CXM450/550 and 650.. this are improved platform (more stable and reliable) of the CX series with a 5 year warranty instead of 3.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube