add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time build, for gaming

Shammy_Macaz

37 months ago

Hey guys would appreciate it if you would take a look at my first build. Games I will be PLaying include WoW, Dota 2, skyrim and the like. Heres the list http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/Shammy_Macaz/saved/CVJ8dC

Opinions and improvements are welcome, trying to keep it around this price, lower the better though. Thanks.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $309.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Motherboard Asus H170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $178.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $124.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Storage Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $183.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $118.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1 Gaming Video Card $475.00 @ DTC Systems
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case $128.99 @ PB Technologies
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $177.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1692.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 21:05 NZDT+1300

Changed a few things tried to keep the price the same ish. when looking for a PSU found you guys over in NZ don't have a great choice. as for SSD size in my humble opinion size and price matters.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers man, so would you suggest I went smaller on the SSD? Say 240GB would be fine for a bit more savings? Appreciate the feedback!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your price goal? I'd say for those games, at 1080p, $800 is your best bet. Go to LinusTechTips or other tech YouTubers as they are much better with tech than I.

You overpaid on like, everything.

Apologies that I can't send you links.

-Get the i5-6600k. If you can't, get the i5-6500k. The K is worth it as it means you will be able to overclock. Overclocking can be amazing. It should be about $200 to $250 for the i5-6600k and you spent $310 on a worse component. -Especially if you are gonna pay $200 for a motherboard designed to overclock. Cut. That by at least $50. -Get Corsair RAM. It's cheaper and has the same performance. Go into select memory and it should be at the top. -You don't need that much SSD space. Go for about 250GB. The HDD is fine. -Get the 3GB 1060 or for that money, a GTX 1070. Almost every modern title can run at 3GB and will continue to do so. Meanwhile, you are spending an extra $50. Speaking of which, why the **** are you paying for a 1060 more than I did for my 1070?? -Good case. Overpaid on the PSU.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be able to get this kind of stuff for around $700-900.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey dude thanks for the reply! Are you talking American priced parts? I believe that those are the lowest prices for New Zealand stores, I think. I have read around about importing from newegg and other such stores, but a lot of threads say its not worth the hassle of shipping/tax and the warranties can be void when leaving America.

Cheers for the reply, appreciate the feedback man.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

No problem, my niche in the forum society is to be a vulture, if you will, commenting on posts that haven't been commented on. For my second comment, yes, I meant $700-900 US dollars. I realized when I looked back just now, I thought wait, what if this guy is from a foreign country? I'm sorry for the confusion. Aside from the price, I stand by what I said as far as the 1060 3GB, the K, and Corsair.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha no problem man, looking over Newegg and such websites makes me cry when I realize how much more I will be paying. Will look into the K, even if I do not plan to overclock right away, will be handy if I plan too. Thanks heaps dude.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube