add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My friend is a beginner.

dabrown12

37 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/v4GRFd This is my friend's supposed new pc. I need your help to answer a few of my questions. People say an ssd is fast, I have a caviar blue 1 tb hdd and its pretty fast, how much faster will this ssd be? Is this psu ok? People say it will catch on fire. Also, she's not a very big gamer, will she need 16 gb of ram?

Thanks

ps. she is not gonna play games, but if she is ill give her r9 380 since I don't play any games. Also, I know the mobo is z170, my friend likes the board so she insisted on including it.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

caviar blue 1 tb hdd and its pretty fast, how much faster will this ssd be?

WD Blue windows 10 start up time = around 17 seconds. SSD <10 seconds. Just a nice to have for faster windows start times and program start up times.

Is this psu ok? People say it will catch on fire

it isnt really ok. Although it won't catch on fire, it is overpriced and unreliable. This is a way better alternative for $50 with MIR http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

will she need 16 gb of ram?

There are very few games that need more than 8gb of ram. BF1 is one of them but I don't know any others. You should be fine with 8gb for now. For general tasks aswell 8gb is enoguh.

• 37 months ago
  • -1 points

That PSU is absolutely okay- and pretty great for a budget build! It looks pretty good. 8GB of RAM is usually more than enough, even for gaming.

This looks really good, and is even pretty overkill if you're not gaming.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the reply!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That PSU is absolutely okay- and pretty great for a budget build!

Not for its price, its competing with units of its league like the S12II and the CXM.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube