add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build concerns: GPU placement and CPU cooler

ue

37 months ago

Hello,

Looking for any feedback you care to share on this new build, and have a particular concern regarding the CPU cooler and GPU placement on the board ... parts list

The Noctua NH-D15 is huge and blocks the PCIe_1 slot. Does it make sense to install a premium GPU (GTX 1070) on a PCIe x4 or x8 (28 lanes CPU and M.2 connector is used)?

Regards, ue

Comments

• ue
  • submitter
  • 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I recently decided to switch to Noctua NH-U12S. Small footprint, Noctua quality, silent. No restriction on memory height and I will be able to place the (single) GPU in PCIe_1 lane. From what I was able to find, this unit is well liked and with default clock speeds, will keep the 6800/6850 cool.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't usually recommend liquid, but maybe that would be worth doing here. AIOs in that price range should perform about on par with the D15.

• ue
  • submitter
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I considered liquid, closed loop at first and custom loop followed. Decided to go with air because custom is just too much for me. Too much effort, too much money, and too much that can go wrong. Decided against closed loop because of pump noise, future maintenance, and there is still some risk remaining. Not much can go wrong with air coolers, they are just not so cool at the moment (-;

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I would stay to air coolers if I were you, just saying, they offer pretty much the same performance at lower prices.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The performance will be completly unaffected by changing the slot from x16 to x8, especially with a mid end card like the 1070.

Other than that what are you building the PC for? I would reccomend this config for gaming if that's it.

Also there is a surprisingly small temp difference between the NH-D15 and something like the Cryorig H7 as they are both fairly high end air coolers. Probs under 5C difference.

• ue
  • submitter
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your feedback.

Running a custom simulation that requires significant processing and graphics power. My understanding of the x8 and x16 is that these are data bandwidths. Reducing the available data bandwidth from x16 to x8 will have little / no effect on gfx performance?

On another note, what are your thoughts on using Noctua NH-U12S instead of the NH-D15 (or other large air coolers)?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Pleasure!

Yes that is correct, Google ANY study of x8 vs x16 and every single one will come with under 5% change for any work load, it still works just fine on x4.

That would be a good change, most air cooler perform fairly similarly and the extra compatibility will be a god send.

Just as a side-note; is the x99 really necessary? You might be the exception but for even very heavy workloads for almost everyone z170 is enough.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm seeing a ton of recommendations for the Fuma all of a sudden. What's the story?

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That is quite a chunk of metal for 50USD.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Guess I didn't realize how many big air coolers lived at that price point.

• ue
  • submitter
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

misc, not a gamer

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not using this for anything in particular this is complete overkill, an i3-6100 and a 750ti will handle every every-day task you throw at it other than things like gaming and CAD.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube