add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheap Skylake overclocking build NO CASE

Berfs1

37 months ago

How is this for a cheap but high performance overclocking system?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mQ8qbj

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $149.00 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard $215.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory *Crucial 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 Memory $11.00 @ Amazon
Storage *A-Data Premier Pro SP600 32GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $32.99 @ Amazon
Video Card *XFX Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card $27.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Lian-Li PC-T60B ATX Test Bench Case $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Delta Electronics AFB1212GHE-CF00 241.0 CFM 120mm Fan $26.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Delta Electronics AFB1212GHE-CF00 241.0 CFM 120mm Fan $26.99 @ Newegg
Other EK-SF3D Inflection Point EVO $180.99
Other EK-SF3D Inflection Point EVO mount $47.99
Other Armacell TAP9584000 Armaflex Insulation Tape $16.42
Other Art Eraser X 12 $40.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $965.33
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-12 23:14 EST-0500

If you want to break records you will need LN2 and hope you win the sillicon lottery. Just be warned I'm not super knowledgeable on LN2 cooling so I would suggest looking farther into it yourself. Also you will need to find LN2 somewhere and be able to handle it safely. You will want the delta fans to blow on the VRM heatsink to help cool. I got a 850 watt PSU since the power usage of the CPU will be very very high and its better to be safe than sorry.

Also I'm not sure any one would sell LN2 to a high schooler so you might be SOL there unless you get your parents to do it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, I did break the national record for overclocking the i3-3220, and with stock cooling. It was a BCLK overclock of 105.5 MHz, and look on HWBOT for the record.

If you see the flags, it means no one from America has gotten a faster frequency than me:http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu_frequency/rankings?hardwareTypeId=processor_2675&cores=2#start=0#interval=20#undefined=

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

For any popular CPU that is unlocked you are going to be going up against people using LN2 which can get far higher than even a custom loop.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The i3-3220 is locked though.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct but it isn't a popular CPU and it is not unlocked which is why you are at the top. For a CPU like the i5 6600K or any of AMD AM3+ CPU's which are very popular CPU's you will be going up against people with LN2 and won't even get close to them without it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea. You remember my G3258? No way I could hit an ok overclock with the cooling I had.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

This was meant for overclocking competitions, not as a performance card. The 1050 Ti draws 75W max, so no power cable needed. The Corsair RAM was fine, no need for 3000 mhz as you could overclock 2133 to 3000 using the same timings as provided by Corsair on the 3000 mhz (my personal trick). For storage, really no need for the 1TB. The SSD however can differ. And the case; I intended it for use on a test bench or nothing as it was meant for oc competions. Also the motherboard, why change it out?

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, this was meant for overclocking, not gaming. Literally, to achieve records, not gaming. I think you are associating "overclocking" for gaming. This was meant as a cheap overclocking solution for achieving record speeds, and the low end GPU was because it used maximum 75W, so no extra cable going for that which can affect airflow in some instances.

Another note about the mobo; I originally chose an asus board...

And about the memory, from my experience, you need to increase the latency to support higher dram frequencies. What I meant was, I could achieve 3000 MHz on sticks that were rated at 2133, using the timings the 3000mhz sticks needed.

And for the HDD, this was not meant as a gaming setup, this was meant as an overclocking setup

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, this was meant as a cheap overclocking solution meant to achieve pretty high overclocks with cheap hardware, not a gaming setup.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose that would be a better alternative.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh GT 710. Why not a 720?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube