add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking to upgrade my PC. Need some help.

booshmayng

37 months ago

Hello all,

I built my PC about two years ago following one of Austin Evans $500 builds on Youtube. This build ran pretty well, and I'd say it still does. However, as new games like Battlefield One and The Witcher 3 release, I find myself having to skip playing them because i know that my PC will be unable to run it smoothly, if even at all.

My specs are: Processor: AMD Anthlon X4 760K Quad Core Processor 3.80 GHz RAM: 8.00 GB OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Video Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series Motherboard: MSI MS-7721

I would like to upgrade to an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) which goes for about $409.00 on amazon and an Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151 which also goes for about $325.00 on amazon. Would these parts be compatible with my motherboard and other parts? Any alternatives/suggestions? Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

First of all, the graphics card and processor would need to be bought together, along with a new mother board as well.

Your AMD CPU has an AMD socket, so you'd need the new MOBO to support the new CPU. The graphics card would bottle neck your 760k, unless other wise.

P.S. Save the money and go for an i5 6600k unless you plan on editing and streaming.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

The parts are not compatible. You will need a new motherboard and memory. The question now is whether or not you can reuse the case, power supply and storage drive(s). Please list the name of the case, the model number of the power supply and the size and type of storage drive(s)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Think im just going to make a new build. Any suggestions for someone who's main hobby is gaming but not wallet killing? Max price for me is about $1500. Thanks!

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I went a little over $1500. With a system like this, you should probably upgrade the monitor as well.

White/Black theme:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $318.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $141.14 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.00 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card $638.94 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $62.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1507.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 18:35 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Great, ill take a look. Thanks for your help!

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

jgb530 list is good but not perfect! But take an 6600k and a better Motherboard! The 6600k is the same in gaming so a made a new list with a bit better parts so here it is: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/j7GzZ8 I think it looks really great and the gpu is very nice. if you dont like the yellow stripes maybe paint it or buy the Asus 1080 Strix. I hope i could help

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

you are welcome. YOu are so happy to live in the us this part list is very expensive here in germany.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, but I would recommend an i5.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube