add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm ready to pull the trigger

zsukhun

38 months ago

Hi guys.

I'm hoping you guys can help me with this parts list. It's all for gaming and it's my first build ever, so I'm nervous.

Biggest concern is the CPU cooler being good enough for this beast i7 and the i7 itself (not sure if the skylake issue is still a thing). My other option for the cooler is the Scythe Cooling Motherboard SCKTT-1000. It's quieter, but not sure it can handle the i7.

Your thoughts are so welcome and highly appreciated.

Thank you

Ps. It's not showing the video card price, but it's $390.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/zsukhun/saved/hQ8YJx

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

A Corsair CXM would be cheaper and better. You don't need to buy more thermal paste and AS5 isn't good. You have a unlocked CPU with a motherboard that doesn't support overclocking. Too much for that case. The Evo 212 isn't of good value anymore. That cooler is very likely better than the Evo 212 not that I would recommend it though since the Sytche Fuma is only about $10 more and is THE best HSF you can buy currently. What is your max budget.

not sure if the skylake issue is still a thing

Not a issue anymore. It was a issue but it was mainly a issue since jackasses decided it was a great idea to use a drill/eletric screwdriver for cooler installation.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow! Good info to start exploring! Budget is 1300 tops. Currently at about 1200, which is where I want to be.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $236.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $111.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $44.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $74.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card $408.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1213.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-31 00:45 EDT-0400

The Fuma is the best HSF you can buy. It slaughers all other coolers in its price range including the H5 and is even better than the R1 or the D15. It has a i5 6600K, you likely aren't going to notice the difference at all. It has a motherboard that supports overclocking. It has a bigger SSD. It has a better case all around and it has some sound dampening foam in it which is a plus. It has a Gigabyte card since the Evga card are having issues with their VRAM. It has a top of the line PSU. Also I used zero MiR's since I didn't know if you wanted to use them or not.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 2 points

The best value and the best you can buy. The D15 isn't the best HSF/"air cooler" it is out done by Fuma for a lot and by 4C which is a decent gap and is right behind the EK Preadtor 240 which is the best 240MM AIO cooler on the market. The Fuma has better value and better performance.

http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/

Its stupidly good and the price is just icing on the cake. I brought one a few weeks ago and it lives up to its performance easily.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, Gang, you've all been so great and helpful.

I mostly used Awakening's $1300 build as I'm a sucker for the i7.

I also switched out one of the fans (the other is not available on prime and me being home to receive the packages is a pain).

Can I just get the final blessing on this last build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/zsukhun/saved/7Fw6hM

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It is crazy and its why I am basically a volunteer shill for it haha. It kept my i5 6600K at 4.9Ghz at a insane 1.49V around 80ish degrees while running Cienebench, it wasn't stable though so I couldn't do Prime95 to really push it even if I wanted to.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The Toshiba 3.5" drives are amazing, they're rebranded Hitachi drives but at a great unbeatable price. I recommend you get them as they're not only cheaper but perform just as well if not better than higher price HDDs.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/N9kD4D/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-ph3200u1i72

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Can wholeheartedly agree on the Hyper 212 Evo being loud. Not only that but the fan it comes with are garbage and had to be replaced within a year, it's just a cheap $5 fan.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh my goodness! This is perfect! Thank you so much!

Edit: also, fire bad. Advice good.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The 212 Evo is not for unlocked processors unless you want high temps and a loud PC.

It can do a decent job of overclocking and it is not super loud although it definitely isn't the quietest cooler. It is just not of good value compared to the similar performing Cryorig M9i which about ~33% cheaper and its out done by coolers a bit more expensive. Plus it is stupidly popular.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube