add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Basic 1060 Rig - How to make it cheaper?

bpcookson

37 months ago

Hey folks,

Here's what I've put together after a bit of research: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bpcookson/saved/t2q4D3

My basic goal here is to build a decent gaming system around the 6GB GeForce 1060 GPU. I have a Macbook Pro for general media and family use so you can assume this computer won't be used for anything else. I have no concern for how internal components look but appreciate a more subtle case design (i.e. a boring case is actually preferred).

Any way to get the price down without sacrificing gaming performance will be greatly appreciated... except there's no way I'll ditch the SSD.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Brian

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $69.99 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $49.00 @ B&H
Storage PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ B&H
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card $259.99 @ B&H
Case Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $62.99 @ B&H
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $76.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor LG 22MP47HQ 21.5" 60Hz Monitor $109.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1027.60
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1007.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-31 16:08 EDT-0400

$20 cheaper, better processor, good CPU cooler.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll definitely be upgrading the CPU for $20, seems like a no-brainer. But what do I lose by downgrading the MoBo to the B150 chipset?

And I'm a bit gunshy on aftermarket CPU fans... is there anything to it or are my fears unfounded? How did you pick the Cryorig H7? I don't know how to find a good fan but want my rig to be quiet.

Thanks!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't really lose anything when downgrading. You just can't overclock, which is no problem considering the 6500 is a locked chip.

Aftermarket CPU fans are perfectly fine. The H7 has a decent fan, and it is better than the 212 EVO.

If you really want to upgrade the CPU Cooler fan, I'd recommend Noctua, but that is just me.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b2vRsY/noctua-case-fan-nff12pwm

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

No plans to overclock, but the H7 reviews are super positive. I'll definitely be adding this to the list. Thanks!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep in mind that the non K processors come with a factory cpu cooler. It isn't amazing, but if you aren't overclocking, it could save you 35 bucks by using it. Personally, I would try it and find out what temps your CPU run during load and decide if you want additional cooling. That 35 bucks is on the edge of being able to afford a 1TB HDD for mass game storage.

Also, as another has posted, for 1080p gaming you can take an honest look at the RX480. There are plenty of youtube videos that compare performance.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

If you don't plan on upgrading your CPU in the future to overclock you could lower the board to an H170. Also there is cheaper RAM out there too that would lower the cost without affecting performance. Depending on how soon you plan to buy, the Corsair RM650x is on sale for 69.99 (after MIRs), which a really good deal on that unit.

I would use a bit of the saved cash to grab a 6500 instead.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

For cheaper RAM... could you offer any examples? I'd love to find 2x4GB sticks with CL 13 or lower but there's nothing cheaper than the HyperX Fury RAM on this site. The Kingston Savage is listed here at $60 the cheapest.

And no, I don't plan to upgrade the CPU or do any overclocking. Will definitely go for the 6500 though. :D

Thanks for the feedback!

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Another vote for the i5-6500... duly noted.

Seems like the MoBo is the obvious place for me to save money so I'll research that more, including the MSI B150M you suggested here. Is there anything specific to watch out for when selecting a cheaper MoBo?

Also, that 2-fan Gigabyte GPU looks like a good buy and more for my money. Thanks!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input, but I've had bad experiences with AMD processors in the past and would prefer to stick with the GTX 1060. I feel like I know what I'm getting with Intel and GeForce.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Baah, my bad. I saw AMD and then Radeon and didn't give it a fair chance... looks like I just read it too quickly. :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube