add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
peterk7

37 months ago

Hi, After my last topic I updated the build a little and was looking for judgment (compatibility and opinions).

Very briefly the needs: Mostly gaming. maybe remote connecting and small vm working (programming mostly JS, Node, Python) but I have a work laptop for that (Latitude E7440). Budget 2300 CAD (tax and shipping included). Overclocking is an option for the future. Monitor I want to but at Costco, and this is the best I found there for my needs.

I have the main build, i5 as gaming doesnt get much from hyper threading for now. And the other build, the only change is cooler and i7, hoping for some discount on boxing day and get it in my price range. i7 will give me the advantage in the programming and running vms, but since I have a work laptop this concerns me less.

The theme is mostly white and blue led, but the performance and price is more important to me.

Thank you :)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it worth it to wait for boxing day or black Friday just to get the i7, will it be lower in price? or buy it in the coming week with the i5?

Thank you :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

OR! Create a build with i7 without overclocking. Need to change the MOBA. Any suggestions on the path to take?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $449.17 @ shopRBC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $225.98 @ NCIX
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $129.93 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $101.67 @ DirectCanada
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $112.98 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $655.38 @ Newegg Canada
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $135.58 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $103.63 @ NCIX
Monitor ViewSonic XG2401 23.6" 144Hz Monitor $400.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2329.32
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $2314.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 00:33 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube