add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Going of to college! Computer Build

Verdello_exe

37 months ago

So I'm going to NC State and I'm going to be building a new desktop to have throughout college. I want to keep it under $1,500 and one necessity is an M.2 storage chip. I have this put together so far any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (Note) I will also be using this for gaming with games such as Battlefield 1 and those sorts of game, hence the graphics card!!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $273.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $127.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $157.98 @ NCIX US
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 120GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $80.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card $219.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $100.56 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1185.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-01 10:00 EDT-0400
Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

When do you need the computer by?

I only ask because Samsung is releasing their newest M.2 storage, 960 EVO, in the beginning of December.

Samsung Website: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-v6e250bw/?cid=pla-ecom-mul-27,000,002

Also! For the power supply I would much rather throw in the EVGA SuperNOVA G2: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1 It is 76 bucks right now which is quite the steal

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Not till around May so I have a while!

Man really I have had such a bad experience with EVGA power supplies have they gotten any better I've had 3 blow on me!?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

What models blew up on you?

There are different models and series with some being better than others. I can assure you that the P2 and G2 SuperNOVA series are very reliable and clean.

You can look up reviews on the power supplies if you want to be reassured on its quality.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It was a SuperNova I'm not sure which ones but they were bronze grade! So that's probably it but I've just stayed away from them for a while!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting! Naturally with electronic equipment things can be faulty but power supplies are usually pretty sturdy and robust. I can understand the hesitation and it was unlucky that a good model like that blew up on you! In the end its just a small savings so do whatever gives you peace of mind :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah no I'll do some research and see!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Made it $1200.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sThzZ8

It looks like I've replaced everything with worse components, but if you are just gaming and doing college work you won't use things like a 6700k and 16gb of RAM, so I replaced them with an i5 (only marginally slower clock speed and no hyperthreading) and got 8gb. This negated the need for z170 motherboard and overpriced cooler.

The SSD you chose to start with was only 120gb (folks up extremely fast) and was actually a SATA SSD in M.2 form factor, meaning like every other SATA SSD it is bottlenecked by the SATA standard.

Since I just saved $400 I threw in a graphics card upgrade, with the leftover money get nicer peripherals, second monitor and maybe an NVMe SSD, for ludicrous speeds. Things you'll actually notice the difference as opposed to things you think you need like an overclocked i7.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much I've been tinkering with it this is what it looks like now!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $237.00
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $35.00
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $150.00
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $89.00
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $95.00
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $138.00
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Turbo Video Card $262.00
Case Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $76.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1171.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-01 11:54 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Many good changes, but I still think you should avoid overclocking, extra frequency doesn't really help in gaming, at all, and it adds alot of cost.

Also that graphics card should be upgraded to 1070, better value and much better performance. 16gb not used for gaming.

Even though this is personal preference, you could probably go HDD on your second drive and not notice anything. But if you don't you'd still have a killer SSD.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I won't be doig much gaming probably just battlefield 1 and maybe a couple other titles like that is it still necessary

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Is what necessary? The 1070? Not really, but its a nice use of the spare budget.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

am i too late?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah, You got til May. :)

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I said an M.2 is necessary and the case isn't my cup of tea I've worked in the R5 &R4 many times and it's by far my favorite case! But I'll look at the cooler and power supply

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Dang I've read so many articles saying they are super fast!?

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh wow that's cool I was just thinking for booting the system as well as running games and applications like photoshop and coding programs.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Drive-by upvote... Fantastic info! Thanks!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Like I mentioned earlier, those results are not relevant when the user deals with multiple media content files--especially when the SSD approaches it's max capacity. The reviewer isn't stressing out each SSD's cache, which is why the tomshardware review is superior, You gotta ask: how well do these SSDs perform when they've maxed their cache yet you've still got content to edit?

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I was mostly getting the M.2 for the boot and for saving my coding and programming for college and I changed it to an i5

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thabks

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Look alright?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

No, add an ssd to the build.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

At least get an SSD. The Adata SP550, OCZ Trion 150, or Crucial MX300 are worth it. The Crucial has 275GB and awesome software to improve its performance. They cost around $60-70, but having the super smooth workflow is worth it.

FYI: those Hitachis are great for the price but are slow as WD Blue 5400RPM drives. Paired with an SSD, you'd be golden.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube