add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will this play 4k at solid 30 fps medium settings?

EagleMewnadria

37 months ago

I want to know if this build will perform $500 dollars better than a ps4 pro, and be a bit more future proof and easily upgradable. I will be playing on a vizio 4k tv. Looking for any opinions on parts that wold be much better for small price increase or parts that would be cheaper and still meet the goal of beating out next gen consoles. I want to keep it under $1000 for now, but cheaper is better. However, I wouldn't be opposed to purchasing more parts at later date if anyone has suggestions on worthwhile near future upgrades. Also, the estimated watt usage of this build is about 280, I'm not sure if that is calculated under heavy load or not, is 450 psu going to be safe? Thanks for any help.

I will be holding out until cyber Monday for a possibly much cheaper build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $77.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $79.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card $239.99 @ Newegg
Case Apevia X-QPACK3-GN MicroATX Mini Tower Case $48.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.98 @ Amazon
Optical Drive LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $46.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $38.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $912.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-01 14:53 EDT-0400

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

The wattage is calculated for TDP, which is essentially the max draw of the system. The PSU is fine for the components in the list.

However, regardless of what you're aiming to do with the build, there are easy ways to cut the cost some without changing performance at all. The thermal compound isn't necessary, the motherboard can be cheaper, you don't need 16gb of ram, and there are better wifi adapters for less money, to give a few examples.

Making those changes, you can get a 1070 in the original budget, which will offer far better 4k performance than the 1060 can manage

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $62.98 @ Newegg
Memory Avexir Budget Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $39.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card $388.99 @ NCIX US
Case Apevia X-QPACK3-GN MicroATX Mini Tower Case $48.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $46.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $16.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $984.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-01 14:45 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Get rid of the 212 evo, you dont need it.

Get rid of the AS5 thermal paste. You dont need it. The 6500 comes with adequate thermal paste of acceptable quality. It comes with an ok cooler too. If you really want aftermarket thermal paste, get some MX4.

There is no such thing as future proof. No one knows what the future will bring, but you wanted upgradable right? Ditch the B150, the 6500 is the best reasonably priced locked intel you can get. Anthing better is unlocked, to make use of that you would need a Z170.

But you're on a budget right? So this ok, ditch the 212 evo and AS5.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are using a locked processor, just use the stock Intel stock cooler.

Also, don't use the arctic silver thermal paste since it is extremely dated as well.

I'm not sure about the 450W but I can say that 500W PSU will be enough for this build for sure.

As for the graphics card, I can't say whether it will run 4k at 30fps medium settings because I haven't researched the benchmarks before.

Update: I looked up a few benchmarks and several websites/people performed benchmarks at 4k high settings and were netting around 30fps.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice, thanks for checking that out. It seems like most articles will say that it can't handle 4k gaming, but their standard is 60 fps at ultra settings.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I used the evo and the paste on my last build with am fx8350, and was pleased with them. I didn't know the 6500 already came with decent stock parts so I ditched those. I'll check out the board xorex mentioned and look into upgrading to 1070. So I know right now the standard ram for gaming is 8gb, which is what I have currently with my main desktop. But I read somewhere that in the near future more and more games will require 12gb with dx12, and some like hitman and batman already recommend 12gb. Any thoughts?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Would be better to get the 8gb now and just upgrade to 16gb when I actually run into a situation where I need it?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube