add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ConsoleToPc

37 months ago

I'll be building my own pc within the next year or two (no job atm) after being a console player for 22 years. Just can't decide on which motherboard to get. Someone suggested the Asus V3 hero, others say Evga or MSI. I've read complaints that the shield that covers the inputs on the Asus mobos can be a pain. Any advice is appreciated and I'll link my parts list below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ConsoleToPc/saved/tVq4D3

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dd2dFd Made edits to the ram, mb, and psu:)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU is a HUGE downgrade.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

he doesnt need 850w

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

But there is no reason to do a major downgrade quality and performance wise. You could have just gotten a smaller Corsair RMx or a Evga G2. The NexG isn't even remotely similar to those units.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

lol didnt realize i didnt chose the g2 whoops

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going with the RAM you suggested by why did you choose that mobo? I heard great things about the Asus V3 Hero.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair fans are just crap for their price. You could get a cheaper and better performing cooler for around half of the cost. You don't need a 850 watt PSU. That SSD has a bad bang for your buck. What is this build for? What is your max budget? Do you want to overclock?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I just started getting into this pc stuff, but I learn fast and soak up lots of info. I had someone make me this list which I went through and adjusted with my limited knowledge. This build would be for gaming and watching movies, youtube and thats it. I want to future proof everything now so I don't have to worry about upgrading later. I'll be buying a 144hz 1440p Asus monitor as well. I'd be willing to spend just under $3,000 if it'll mean the best experience I can get. Might get into overclocking as well once I understand it further which is why I stuck with the gtx 1080, z170 mobo and i7 6700.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I know 850w PSU seems overkill but again future proofing. What SSD and fans would you suggest?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no such thing as future proofing since everything will be out dated. For a idea of how much wattage you really need you would be lucky to use 550 watts with overclocking and SLI. A 650 or 750 watt PSU would be plenty.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh trust me I know it's overkill and everything you said is true. I just like to have a bit of "insurance" and when I get the money I don't mind spending it on the best even if I don't need it. Logic huh lol. So what SSD and fans would you suggest? Also what do you think about the Asus V3 Hero?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $318.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $199.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $169.98 @ Directron
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $66.60 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card $629.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $104.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $159.99 @ Best Buy
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse $87.79 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2043.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 01:33 EDT-0400

It has a better CPU cooler, faster RAM, a much bigger SSD. A case that has better airflow than the H440 and is generally better minus the sound dampening foam. It also has a cheaper GPU model. I also saved money.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I went with the PSU, SSD, and case you mentioned. I'm unsure about the Fuma since there are hardly any reviews from what I could find. Also wondering why you chose the strix, the gtx ftw seems more common and I've heard Evga has great customer service. And isn't the DDR4-3000 from Corsair good enough? Why change that?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm unsure about the Fuma since there are hardly any reviews from what I could find

I did a mini review of it on here, no comparison though to other coolers though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/dVwqqs/scythe-cpu-cooler-scfm1000

Here is a good review of it.

http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/

Also wondering why you chose the strix, the gtx ftw seems more common and I've heard Evga has great customer service.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean its the best choice. That is not to say the Evga card is bad. They both are pretty even but the Strix is cheaper and imo looks better since its more color neutral. Evga does have good customer service though, you usually hear bad stuff about everyone since unsatisfied people tend to be the loudest but I really haven't heard anything about Evga.

isn't the DDR4-3000 from Corsair good enough? Why change that?

Iirc it was either 2133Mhz or 2400Mhz, not 3000Mhz, and was about $90 so I got faster RAM for cheaper

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your help. I went with the RAM you suggested. Can't wait to eventually put this all together. Now I'm off to Best Buy to check out some Asus monitors.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube