add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Another $2000 PC Build Looking For Advice

The_Grigz

37 months ago

I've been out of the computer and hardware scene for years now. My machine is past it's upgrade time and I'm just ready to build another PC. I couldn't even tell you what CPU or mobo I'm running, one of the first gen i7s not that it matters. Anyways on to the build planning and questions. So I've been doing as much reading, video watching and talking to friends that I can possibly do. Some say go Z170 others say spend the extra money for a X99 build even though I'll lose some gaming performance slightly. So I think I've decided that I want to build a X99. I have both routes planned out but I'd really like to get everyone's opinion on my X99 build. I've tried to find the best mobo but they all seem to have quite a few QC issues and are sorta hit and miss it seems, particularly the Asus boards? Anyways;

My build list so far: Case: NZXT H400 Mid Tower Case

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming

CPU: i7 6800k

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 XTREME Gaming

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz 16gb (4 x 4gb)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical SSD I'll be bumping up to a M.2 SSD after a little bit and will be carrying over my HDD from my original build.

Extras:

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (240mm)

Cables: CableMod PSU White Cable Set

Wanting to try to stick to a white and black theme as my GPU plastic/metal case will be plasti dipped white to go along with the theme.

Any and all advice is truly welcome!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You should change the memory to 16GB (4 x 4GB) in order to take advantage of the quad channel memory.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it worth spending the extra money to upgrade to 32gb?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Not for a strictly gaming computer. The same can said about the whole x99 platform. Unless you are streaming, editing and/or recording there is very little reason to build on x99.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Guess I'm just building it for an overkill machine that will last many years to come.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

-you can easily get those ram cards up to ddr4 3000 mhz for under 100 with 16 gb -i would suggest the i7 6700k since the 6800k seems over kill for gaming -add a 1tb hdd for storage the 500 gb isnt gonna hold everything you need Everything else seems fine :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions? Better motherboard?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube