add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Uh-Oh. I need opinions ASAP.

JBrown1597

37 months ago

This just might be a game-changer for me.

I was so excited to build a sexy looking custom computer, but...

Pre-Built ($999 - Sale) vs Custom ($980) NOTE: The First specs are the Pre, the second are the Custom specs.

i5 6600k vs i5 6500 --- Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Edition vs MSI GTX 1060 --- 16GB 3000 vs 16GB 2444 --- No HDD vs 2 TB HDD --- 480 GB SSD vs 250GB SSD --- Wifi included vs No Wifi --- Windows included vs No Windows --- Ugly case vs Sexy case + matching scheme --- 6 USB 3.1 + 4 USB 3.0 vs 6 USB 3.0 --- DVD Drive included vs Buy additional external DVD Drive --- Financing available (0% interest) vs Pay all at once ---

I think i'm gonna get the pre-built and swap the case out for the NZXT s340 Elite once it is released. Thoughts?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Does the prebuilt have the 6600k and 1070?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, the first ones are the pre-built. Second ones are custom.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

May we have a link to the prem built and your custom?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

$200 for that is a bargain, It uses a solid MoBo, 500w evga which isn't modular and good core components such as the 6600k and 1070. I'd buy this and upgrade the PSU, Case and maybe the cooler late down the line.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It uses what looks to be the 212 EVO, which means it'll be fine unless it really gets pushed for overclocks, PSU allowing.

I'm actually very impressed with a prebuilt for once.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The pre-built sounds great at first sight.

What about CPU-cooler, PSU and MOBO?

what brand is the SSD ?

CPU + GPU + OS = $745.87

Z170 MOBO = $90

= $835,87

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PSU looks like a 500W. Bronze i'd imagine. Don't plan to overclock anytime in the near future with this one as the specs are already insane.

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC Mate

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd expect that those three components are pretty poor. Prebuilts have to be profitable for the manufacturer somehow.

If it's a 500w supply, chances are it's either the 500B or W1, assuming they bothered to put that much money into it.

There's also the chance that the motherboard is a restricted OEM, which means that upgrade options would be limited at best.

EDIT: just saw the update on the motherboard. It's pretty solid. Not outstanding, but it'll do the job just fine. So you can ignore the last part of my post (pre-edit)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd rather have to upgrade the PSU and Cooler down the road than the CPU and GPU though. Doesn't that make more sense? And elaborate on the motherboard part.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I understand what you mean.

By motherboard I meant that many prebuilt or OEM computers use motherboards that are specifically built by the manufacturer that effectively limit either the expansions or features available on the system. An example is this bad boy, which as you can see, has no actual expansion slots or abilities to expand aside from an extra SATA port. The RAM is all built in and locked, there aren't any PCI or PCIe slots, and all the board headers are prewired and locked.

All the stuff about OEM motherboards isn't really applicable here, since it uses a third-party motherboard (the Z170A PC mate), so you won't really be limited beyond what you would be if you custom built.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

@Fellway

There is more to the equation than just the basics too. Has DVD Tray (+25), Has wifi (+40), Has windows (+80), more future proof GPU/CPU combo. The downside to all of that obviously is lower quality in other areas, however I am trying to discern which would be better between the two for me. Especially with the financing option in mind.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm always highly hesitant to prebuilts, but there are times when they make great options. Power supply aside (I'm super picky about that, though) it's a fairly superb option. Upgrading the case and power supply down the line won't be tough or too expensive anyway, so it seems like the prebuilt gets a rare win today.

Similar story for the CPU cooler in the prebuilt, but it won't be of any importance unless you overclock. Even then, it could have a decent unit in there that they just aren't listing for whatever reason.

EDIT: After checking the prebuilt link you shared on another post, the CPU cooler is a really solid one. It will be fine for up to 4.3GHz overclock in many cases. It's honestly a really solid computer once you can get a better PSU in it. The one in the prebuilt isn't dangerous or bad or anything, but it should ideally be replaced with a better unit within a year or two

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a little hesitant myself hence me being here, but I think switching out the case won't be too bad and having to upgrade cheaper parts will be easier for me. Thank you so much for your help! You've been very informative.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Changing cases will be some work. It's basically doing a build from scratch, except you won't have to disassemble everything on the motherboard. But I think it'll definitely be worth it given the pricing. And I've always really enjoyed the process. I've actually changed cases for my build twice now.

I'm glad I could help out!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube