add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building around a $1250 budget (peripherals included!) for a friend.

Aizza45

37 months ago

What do you think about this build?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

may as well go the 6600k if you have a z170 mobo and aftermarket cooler anyway

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Problem is the extra money. He doesn't want to spend much more than $1250

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The cooler is redundant as you can't overclock that chip (without doing funky bios things), supplied cooler is fine, or upgrade to the k suffix version.

212 evo is kinda old, if you do change to an oc chip I would swap to a cryorig m9i which iirc has same performance but is easier to install or their h7 which is a little better.

Without a ssd for boot I would switch to a wd blue, more cache should help hdd performance.

a 1070 is very overkill for a 1080p/60hz monitor, 1060 is the nvidia sweet spot for that spec atm.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Part of my idea behind the 1070 is to future proof. I think eventually he will move to a 1440p monitor or 4k. Also why I chose the mobo I chose. Instead of grabbing a Titan X or an 11 series card (probably?) he can just drop a 2nd 1070 in there with SLI.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... when's the monitor upgrade gonna happen? If it's undetermined I would rather go with a 1060 then upgrade the gpu when necessary, but I guess that's something you guys can hash out together, along with whether a z board is likewise something that'll be useful in teh future.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I will discuss that with him :) Thank you for bringing it up!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

NP man :D

I think having a limit of $1250 kinda puts you in a difficult place as far as maximising that budget while coming up with a well balanced build, I guess it depends on his thoughts about upgrading and in what time frame, if at all.

I don't think your work is done just yet! :D

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

This is an excellent build and I will definitely show him! Are the RX series cards good? I don't personally know anyone who prefers them over the Nvidia cards.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube