add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

High End Build For Flight Simulator

Redbaron1234

37 months ago

Following is what I'm building for a high end flight simulator. I will OC the CPU and be running 4 monitors.

QUESTION: What's the recommended for first upgrade? More RAM? Second graphics card? Other?

Thanks.

1. CPU, Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  2. MOTHER BOARD, Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  3. VIDEO CARD, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
  4. MEMORY, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
  5. SSD, Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  6. HDD, Western Digital Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive
  7. OPTICAL DRIVE, Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer SATA Drive
  8. CASE, NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
  9. CPU COOLER, Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  10. COOLING FAN (case bottom in), 120mm X 2, Corsair ML120 Pro LED, Red, 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Fan CO-9050042-WW
  11. COOLING FAN (2 ea: case front in and case top out w/ radiator), 140mm X 4, Corsair ML140 Pro LED, Red, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Fan CO-9050047-WW
  12. POWER SUPPLY, Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  13. OPERATING SYSTEM, Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
  14. MONITOR, ViewSonic, 20", VC2055Sm
  15. MONITOR X 3, Dell S2715H 27.0" 60Hz Monitor
  16. KEYBOARD X 2, Kensington K64370A USB Keyboard
  17. TRACKBALL, Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball with USB Dongle

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Post permalink from build page please, more convenient for you and us :D

But to speak to your question, 16gig ram is fine I think unless flight sim performance improves with more, a sound card might be worthwhile if you have nice speakers/headphones but built in sound is fine if you're using cheapos, depending on how graphically intensive the flight sim is I might consider a 1080 for better fps if you're gaming on a triple monitor set up but you'll prolly have to hit [flight sim software] reviews/forums to determine that.

The build looks very nice although I don't see the value in a wd black hdd for bulk storage myself, having a high spec hdd was recommended before ssds came along to help boost windows performance but I think they're a rather redundant now tbh.

750w psu seems a little high to me, my ballpark for a single gpu build is ~200w above the site estimate, that gives enough head room for oc power draw while leaving enough for good psu efficiency, if you want more watts for possible sli down the road do you know for sure that flight sim performance improves with multi gpus? SLI is somewhat inefficient and doesn't provide a guaranteed boost in every game.

With the fans that come supplied with the case and cooler you might not need any extra ones, check out the arctic cooling freezer 240 water loop too, very competitively priced and gets good reviews tho I don't remember how it compares to the h115i.

Personally I tend to think full tower cases are too large but that's down to your aesthetic of course :D

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate your time and thoughts. My take away was that I should consider improving the sound, which would definitely add to the sim experience.

Thanks again.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

NP man :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube