37 months ago
I'm looking to build a system for photo editing, with some specific requirements:
- Mostly Lightroom, with some Photoshop so aiming for a CPU with fast clock speed rather than lots of cores
- 10 bit colour-depth output so need workstation graphics card rather than a gaming card
- Fast SSDs for both the OS/apps and also working files, but don't need huge capacity as finished files will be stored on NAS
- Decent amount of RAM for larger images (e.g. panorama stitches) but don't need to go crazy as I won't be doing video editing
- Looking to spend ~£2,000 (ideally less, would go higher if genuinely beneficial) as this is a hobby not my livelihood
- Don't want to regularly update the system so want something future-proof that will last for a good few years
Here's what I've specced out so far: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WLqx9W
As a total noob to PC builds, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following questions:
- I'm planning to over-clock the processor - is the motherboard and cooler I've chosen appropriate for that?
- I've assumed that the fans that come with the case are sufficient - would you advise adding any additional fans?
- Is there any issues I need to be aware of with having two M.2 SSDs installed?
- Any other advice or suggestions? Anything I've missed?
Thanks in advance for any help the hive-mind can offer!
- CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£210.00 @ Amazon UK)
- CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
- Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste (£11.02 @ CCL Computers)
- Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£148.69 @ BT Shop)
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£74.99 @ Novatech)
- Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£172.77 @ BT Shop)
- Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£287.99 @ Novatech)
- Video Card: PNY Quadro K620 2GB Video Card (£143.20 @ More Computers)
- Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case (£108.98 @ Ebuyer)
- Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
- Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer (£29.59 @ Amazon UK)
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
- Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC88 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£95.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
- Monitor: BenQ SW2700PT 27.0" 60Hz Monitor (£579.00 @ Amazon UK)
- Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard (£22.51 @ Amazon UK)
- Mouse: Logitech B100 Wired Optical Mouse (£8.99 @ Amazon UK)