add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Skylake gaming unlocked 1000usd

gugu96

37 months ago

I'm waiting fo rmore details about the order but I need help to build an xmas rig for a young gamer that will spend the entire holidays gaming with his new computer. Do you think 1000$usd is ok or not? Budget limit will most likely be 1500$CAD

EDIT: removed the K requirement, it will be for gaming, not for overclocking. Needs to be stable, all the time, no hassle.

I have a few ideas but will need help to fill the gaps

*ram 2x8gb ddr4-2400+

*board: z170 (I think so), 4 ramslots

*cpu i5 skylake, i7 is overkill

*ssd: 250gb samsumg evo

*hdd: WD something 2tb or more? I don't game a lot, dunno how much space is needed these days.

*gpu: best bang for the buck with a very good punch.

*psu: must have enough to power all of this, no overkill

*case: proper size, with window

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/gugu96/saved/sDwhMp

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you need all the peripherals? Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, etc?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know yet. I sure hope not!!! I will downgrade to a non-K cpu

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You could drop the CPU cooler if you want to save some money. Also I'm not sure if you have a reason for wanting the Samsung, but you could get a Crucial MX300 275GB SSD for about 90 bucks. Also you should upgrade the HDD to a Seagate, Toshiba, or Western Digital 7200RPM. Grab a Corsair CXM 550W power unit as well.

Depending on the resolution and refresh rate he's playing at a GTX 1060 could work for the build as well, which will lower cost considerably.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

This would have him gaming long into the future with high settings, etc. No peripherals though. Basic white/black color scheme. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/77ZgPs

You didn't have the picker list link in your original post, hence this list. I'll leave it so you can compare.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

What resolution and refresh rate will he be using? You can save a couple of bucks with a GTX1060-6GB or RX-480 if he's not playing more than 1080p 60Hz, although both will get you in the door with decent 1440p. The chosen GTX-1070 is great for 1080p 144Hz, or good 1440p 60Hz.

Since the list in the above link has a non-K CPU, you can cut out the CPU cooler as the non-K CPUs come with coolers, if you need to shave off a few bucks. The aftermarket cooler will more than likely shave a few degrees off and run quieter though in comparison to the stock cooler.

You could also shave a few bucks off with a Crucial MX300 275GB HDD also, and maybe direct it at a faster HDD (US Pricing has a Hitachi model that is 7200RPM, SATA-3 (6GB transfer speed), with a 64MB cache/buffer for around the same price as some 1TB models. I haven't checked Canadian prices yet for comparison though.

Those first-gen EVGA PSUs: many aren't as good as they could have been, as in they aren't all that great. I'd make some changes to get a better unit.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $286.74 @ Vuugo
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $134.99 @ Newegg Canada
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $96.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $86.28 @ Amazon Canada
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card $519.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $93.98 @ DirectCanada
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $117.75 @ shopRBC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1496.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-04 14:27 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I have listened to most of the comments and made some appropriate changes

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/gugu96/saved/sDwhMp

And I saved the future build on my profile.

cooler: removed, the i5-k had no cooler, the non-k has intel cooler hdd: lowered from WD to Toshiba gpu: went from 1070 to 1060. I'm sure it's all VR ready, no SLI possible psu: went from 650 to Corsair CX550M, though it's same price ssd: went from samsung evo (love them) to Crucial MX300

I should have more details next week and I'll ask them about monitor and keyboard mouse.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube